From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 04:06:50 -0600
Since my last posting saying I will be posting near the end of this week,
several people have asked my if they could send in more data.  USre, go
ahead; I have everything all figured out, maybe even why, but I don't mind
dropping in a few more numbers.  Do it fast though, because I won't add
anything after Thursday.

I think I will break the data into 3 or 4 posts and post them over the same
number of days.  That way, Bill isn't swamped with post, and I'm not sued
for putting people to sleep at their computers, and have someone fall off
their chair and snapping their pencil-necked geeky neck.

I have 7 posts in my box regarding descenting.  I'm a little behind on the
FML, so I've missed most of this one.  So with no flames intended:

a) Descenting will not remove the ferret's natural body odor.  It can lower
poop odors because a small amount is squirted out with the poopie, but if
you leave enough poop in the pan to tell the difference, you have other
problems and maybe should be "descented" yourself.

b) Descenting is necessary sometimes because older ferrets often develop
impacted anal sacs.  I recommend descenting to be done on *any* ferret with
an impacted anal sac because they are often recurrent, and they could lead
to cancer.  Descenting eliminates the problem (ho!).

c) There is no evidence I know of that ties the "anal sac system" with any
other system of the body.  Therefore, disagreeing with what one private post
suggested, I cannot see how the removal of an anal sac can cause any other
problems in the ferret's physiology.  Behavior, maybe.  Physiology, I just
don't see it, so as far as I know, it would make little difference one way
or the other.

d) Some ferrets are problem poofers, and when someone writes to me and
complains about it, I recommend descenting, which I feel is less traumatic
to the ferret than relocation (adoption).  This is especially important in
areas with filled shelters.

e) Descenting is safe, has very few post-surgical problems, and has no
long-term effect on the ferret.  In terms of surgical risks, few proceedures
are safer.

f) Descenting may remove a set of glands and their associated shooters, but
removing them is not (in my humble opinion) an act of mutilation, like with
declawing.  In declawing, the third digit is removed, shorting the
hand/foot, and changing the balance, the motor skills, the muscle action,
and the grasping ability of the ferret.  Except for poofing, the ferret is
unchanged by descenting.  In any case, neutering is a (necessary) act of
mutilation, which has a tremendous impact on the physiology of the ferret,
yet few complaints are registered about osteoporosis and possible endocrine
diseases.  If a ferret is at risk because of poofing, either by disease or
relocation to another home, I feel descenting is a viable option and one
shouldn't be subject to flaming if those options are explored.

And just to dispell the myth I am pro-descenting...

f) I do not normally descent.  Even with 20 ferrets, only half are descented
and most of them because they where adopted MF ferrets.  The rest are
potiential poofers.  Jet and Amber can out-poof the best of them and do so
weekly.  The stink is short-lasting, and while it might be nasty for the
first few moments, it is not like skunk stink at all.  Still, Trillian will
be descented this spring because she currently *has* an impacted anal sac,
and as soon as it clears up, its outta there with its evil twin.

g) I believe the question is sort of moot.  Most people (maybe not FMLers)
buy MF ferrets, and the deed is done.  As for that problem, I think
descenting is far lower on my list of priorities compared to early neutering
and separation from mother.  I was in St. Louis last weekend (I just love
zoos) and stopped at a local pet store to see the ferts.  I saw four kits
that by tooth eruption and size could not be older than 7 weeks, maybe 8 if
you stretched it (and you would!).  Thier permanent canines were just
beginning to show.  These kits should still be with mommy, and they should
have their reproductive systems until they reach adult size, which is about
the same time they become sexually mature.  Jet, Amber, and Jezabel will be
neutered this spring, on or about 1 year of age, and Carbone (now at 6 lbs
and NO!!! fat, just muscle) after that.

Last opinion.  While I don't personally think you need to descent unless you
have to, it is an important issue with other persons, and as such, their
opinions are as important to them as mine are to me.  So, I respect their
decision to descent, not only because it is a physiologically harmless
procedure, but also because it can keep a fert in a home it would otherwise
be at risk of losing, as well as protect it from diseases (cancers) and
infections (just imagine an infected boil in that location....I'd have
*myself* descented).

Bob C and 20 MO Furbutts wearing Asbestos Longjohns.