From:
dan christen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 18:07:25 -0800
To anon poster, regarding ferrets and big dogs

We have a shepherd / lab mix and he grew up with ferrets, so he just
thinks they are the neatest thing since peanut butter biscuits, but it is
the lab in him, that just loves the ferrets, he mouths them and will also
pin one down occasionally to play with them.  He is very gentle, but i am
always concerned about his padding around the house, as he DOESN'T WATCH
WHERE HE IS WALKING!  @ 110 pounds, that is a lot of dog.  When we first
had Ulyssees, he had picked up Frey in his mouth and was carrying him
around, and i nearly had heart failure!  (again the lab /retriever) must
come naturally to this breed, so make yourself aware of the nature of the
breed of dog that you are getting/have.  One of our cats thinks he is a
ferret, too.  Nicodemus climbs into the 4 story cage, and sleeps in the
ferret bed, he cannot use the ladder, as the opening is too small, but
there are doors @ every level, so he just goes in on the 2nd level and
makes himself to home.  The cats, the dogs, the ferrets all play well
together, so the ferrets KNOW they are ferrets, the cats and dogs are just
a little confused.  I actually have pictures of Fenris and Jasper curled
up together in a small cat bed.  Have caught Nico and another ferret
grooming each other...so with supervision, i am sure that they will become
great friends, i would say it sure would depend on the breed of dog,
though.

I don't know how it happened, but, our Jupiter had to go to vets, today.
His foot was swollen, and he was limping.  Xrays revealed 2 broken center
toes.  He is on limited activity, and has been bandaged, so we will be
hovering over him for a while.

Eppy is still missing, i was so hoping that he would be home for
Christmas.

I don't have to deliver papers tomorrow, but husband is still on call, so
it will be an early night anyway in the Christen household.  Oh, well.
Still a few more hours till Christmas Day, my wish still could come true?
All i wanted for Christmas this year was my Epimetheus home.  Fergie is
holding her own, she sure doesn't like the other ferrets, cats or dogs,
but i am sure that she feels pretty vulnerable right now.  She is the
cagemate to Diana who we lost a few days ago.  Fergie has moved off the
bed with us, and down onto the fleece with some of the other ferrets, she
can go to them, but not they to her.  She is eating gravy from my
fingers...but eating voluntarily and eagerly, just cannot get much in her
@ one time.  She is a very proper little lady too, always has to clean her
chin for 10 minutes after each meal.

I haven't gotten a call back from the "others" who wanted LB, back.  Maybe
i need to just make up a surrender form for anyone giving up their ferrets
to me, ever again?  I have learned a lot, (hindsight)?  I was pretty shook
up when my coworkers son stopped by the house and wanted to take LB from
here.  I am hoping that they realized that, they really didn't want her
back, "he" just wanted to impress his children?  Keep your paws crossed,
i figure now that he hasn't called back, there is no way he will get her
back.  No interest @ all.

Happy Holidays to all of you, and your furry families

Prayers for all the ones who are in shelters wanting for someone to love
and enjoy their companionship and for all the sick little ferrets too.
Prayers for their mommies and daddies, who worry so much over these
wonderful little creatures.  God watch over any who are abandoned, that
they be found, lost that someone has found them (for instance my Eppy :-)
) With the winter cold setting in, it will be hard on the wildlife, let
alone the lost/domestic animals.

Respectfully
Donna, Eppys lost mommy