From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2006 09:21:46 -0400
Marguerite writes
>In the state of Pennsylvania, I do NOT, let me repeat...DO NOT qualify
>for 501c (3).  As much as I would LOVE to do that, legally I can not
>be 501c(3).  I need a board of directors for one and alot of other
>qualifications.  I am a family run shelter.  I am not able to make a
>12 year old a board member.  Therefore, I am not opposed to the idea, I
>am LEGALLY not qualified.

Legally, all you need to do is have a board of at least 3 people the
majority of whom are not members of your immediate family.  Most ferret
shelters are family run, yet many of them are 501c3.  It only takes
finding 2 people whom you trust who are willing to serve on your board.
Well actually, it takes a lot more than that!  It takes a lot of time
and paperwork.  Reading all those IRS documents and instructions can
make you go blind or at least give you a splitting headache!  And all
the paperwork you have to do afterwards too.

Filing as a non-profit in your state is separate from (though necessary
for) filing for federal 501c3 status.  I am not familiar with PA
regulations, but I have studied them for OH and NY.  In general, if you
follow the federal guidelines for forming a board, and writing articles
of organization and bylaws, you can meet state requirements.

Linda Iroff
International Ferret Congress
A 501(c) (3) corporation, EIN 02-0580411
http://www.ferretcongress.org