From:
Alpha Chi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 1997 04:58:52 -0400
Well, there's a first time for everything, and I guess its kinda nice to be
considered as such, at least once in a while.  I am more often referred by
my peers as one of the most analytical minds this side of the Mississippi :-)
and perhaps beyond [of course, I must qualify this acknowledgement by
stating there has never been any formal study conducted to confirm this].
Maybe I'm just weary of all the scientist wanna-be's crying out "where's the
study?!?" every time someone states an opinion or experience or shares an
observation in earnest on this FML, even when they clearly state what it is
they are saying.  The last time I checked this was not the "Ferret
Scientific Forum".  These cries are very often associated with antagonist
or pejorative and extremely condescending terms that really have little
relevancy or validity outside the mind that eschewed these posts.  To put it
bluntly, only if a study has shown the opposite of an experience can you use
it to "invalidate" another's observation.  The simple fact that no study has
ever been conducted does NOT automatically invalidate what people share on
this forum.  Have I ever suggested that we accept or state all that we hear
as FACT?  Nor do I think we should slam everyone with some overbearing
"studies" mallet every time they share an opinion or experience on this
forum.  It makes for a very hostile and IMHO, tedious practice.  I am all
for qualifying whatever is said in the context of its origin, i.e.,
experience, observation, opinion, some written source, etc.  However, even
then, these cries are heard far too often.  It is getting so one has to
tiptoe thru the tulips, afraid of being whacked about by nasty little
accusations of hysteria, satanic alliances, or innuendoes of incompetence
and immaturity, etc., by a self-appointed peanut patrol.

Have you noticed lately how many posts start with pleas of no retribution,
or "I am jus' a little ol' owner... or a defensive posture?  This phenomenon
certainly appears to bear out what Iam speaking of.  I am not suggesting in
any way that we abandon scientific data or its approach.  just maybe loosen
the proverbial tie a little.  It appears to be choking the flow of
information, good and bad.

Three topics practically guaranteed to spark a debate of escalating
proportions are MF practices, Linatone, and declawing.  <BIG> has kindly
continued to permit these issues continued space despite the hyperbole.
None of these issues have ever been the subject of any formal study, nor,
perhaps, are they ever likely to be.  Experiences [expert and laymen],
observances, and opinions are the only sources we have to rely on in these
areas.  On Linatone, another FML member and myself are currently gathering
the experiences and opinions of recognized authorities and practiced
professionals.  Prior to this informal study it was generally believed that
this supplement was safe in "treat" amounts.  Very few appeared to me to be
under the umbrella of unbridled use or even as suggested on the Ferretone
label [a close cousin of Linatone].  Some believed it should be entirely
avoided at all costs.  Some have proposed "safer" mixtures that actually
appear more toxic than the original.  So as usual, the truth will probably
turn up somewhere in the middle when we conclude our survey, maybe.  The
purpose of the study is not to vilify or deify this supplement, but to
better define "treat" amounts, since this term is operationally invalid.
For now that's the best we can do.  I hope that is good enough for some.
For those uncomfortable with the limitations of this forum there are three
options as I see it.  One, author your very own published study; two, ignore
all the vast experiences shared on this forum and pet your fuzzie in the
bliss of steadfast and righteous ignorance; or three, learn to better cope
with the shortcomings of humanity and ferret maintenance.  No condescension
intended, just the hard reality of things.  If anyone needs to exagerate my
position or state the obvious any further to form a personal response please
feel free to do so, privately.  for the ferrets,

best wishes,
alpha [the warm fuzzy touchy feely kinda guy] chi