From:
Ara or Heather <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 20:10:26 -0400
Hey everyone!  A few months ago I got a new kit I named Bear.  Bear was a
champagne and had a white bib and white knee patches.  His mask is pretty
normal but does have a little more white than my older sable standard Gus.
Bear also has a pink nose.  Well, over the next few months he darkened
somewhat and has gained a number of white hairs scattered over his body.
Right now he's exactly the color of tarnished silver.  He does have some
white hairs right in the middle of the underside of his paws, but no actual
mitts you can see from above.  His sister was a champagne blaze when I saw
her (at about 7 weeks of age) but may very well have turned the same color
Bear is by now.  And am I correct in thinking that silvers are born dark
and then lighten with age?  I hear different stories so I get confused.  I
know grey horses are born dark and slowly lighten with age; are silver
ferrets the same way?  And could Bear be a silver even though he doesn't
have mitts?  If he did have mitts, I'd have no doubt about his being a
silver, but since he doesn't...

Heather, Gus, and Bear