From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 12:45:43 EDT
>I see occasional references recommending the use of Pepto for ferrets
>suffering from forms of enteritis or Helicobacter.  PLEASE DON'T DO
>THIS!!!

You might be confusing the bismuth subsalicylate, the active ingredient
of Pepto Bismol, with acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin).  Pepto Bismol is
recommended for use in treatment of ulcers in humans.  I've used it for
years in treatment of helicobacter related ulcers in ferrets, along with
Amoxi and Carafate.  "Ferrets Rabbits and Rodents; Clinical Medicine and
Surgery": Hillyer & Quesenberry, recommends a combination of Amoxicillin,
Metronidazole, and Bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto Bismol) for treatment of
helicobacter.  This is also listed in "Biology and Diseases of the Ferret";
Fox, James, as a treatment, although that reference does include a newer
treatment consisting of ranitidine bismuth and clarithromycin.  Both the
bismuth subsalicylate and the ranitidine bismuth carry the same warning
about using it with aspirin and blood thinning drugs.

About the only problem I've ever encountered with using Pepto Bismol for
ferrets is that some ferrets react violently to the taste which can cause
undo stress in those cases.  The majority just don't like the taste but
will tolerate it.  A few love it and will beg for it.

Dick B.