Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 10:42:34 EDT
I may look like I do a lot for ferrets here on the FML.  But I am mostly
just a big mouth who really, really, really cares about ferrets.  I am
grateful BEYOND any words that I know how to write for YOUR many kindness
to ferrets over the years here.

People like Troy Lynn, Sandy, Alicia, Big, Sukie,CJ, and Lynn are the
big guns here.  They accomplish amazing feats, and we never sit back
and realize all that they give up-through fires, illnesses, court
appearances, rallies, and hours and hours of slave labor--slaves for the
love of ferrets.

Did you ever notice that the people who donate money or towels or
hammocks or plastic bags or transportation or carriers are often people
with little to no time or financial resources?  Do you know that they are
frequently suffering from incapacitating chronic pain?  That they may
also live from pay check to pay check?

I have found this out over the years of writing to so many of you.
People barely able to support themselves risk the little saved money they
have for a helpless animal that needs assistance.

Dozens of you find yourselves crawling on the floor for hours or days
because your damaged spine will not allow you to stand.  Yet,YOU are the
first to offer emotional support to others.  Or you are there to share
ideas.  Thank you.

Mini-Me is still who she is.  She searches for Waldo and Ma-we-ah to hurt
them, while her little body shakes like a leaf.  She does not have as
much time out now as she did.  But she is still with me, because of the
ideas and support of people on the FML.

I did not know if I would ever be able to even work again.  Thank you for
all of you who were there to hold my hand through that time.

GCFA has been barely able to stay afloat financially through this time
when people donated so heavily to victims of Sept.  11th, that the
shelters ---especially animal shelters--had to take a back seat.  Or no
seat.

They have been short volunteers, people to do the ferret wash, bedding
for the ferrets, and funds.  But things are looking new and improved
because of all of you and your contributions to one of the largest ferret
shelters in the country that we know of.

The great news?  Someone really nice-Hi Sue!-is now making sure everyone
is thanked.  Now volunteers get the mail.  Someone else opens it.
Someone else has to record everything--without a computer.  Then, it is
off to Sue.  She can only thank you for what she believes has been sent.

So PLEASE give feedback to www.GCFA.com

Allow 5 weeks.  One for the mail to get there.  Another for someone to
get to the post office, and another 2 for the person to record, and send
off to Sue the names and addresses and gifts.  Then give her time to find
time to send out thank you's.  Maybe allow 6 weeks.

If you did not receive a thank you in 6 weeks-write to GCFA.com and give
them the feedback they need to make any corrections to this new system.
Everyone has full time jobs, and numerous animals at home to care for AND
shelter duties, and a private life.

Someone may be sick, or on vacation to make the system take a little
longer.  Things happen.  If one person in the chain falls out ill, or has
car problems, etc.--it will delay the next step.  I just volunteered to
help if they need more help with thanking people.  But they may have
enough people now

Please also give feedback when you do get thanks.  Do not expect anyone
to get back on that.  But DO let these few people working like animals
have a tiny bit of praise.

No one is salaried here.  It is all volunteer, and we could still use
more.  Write to GCFA.com if interested.

Donate a gift.  Check out the system.  Let GCFA know how they are doing.
Your gifts ARE so very important to the shelter and the ferrets.  And I
have seen first hand how very appreciated they are.  The lit up eyes, and
smiles, and happy voices, all hovered around Norm to share the good news
of your kind gift.

You cannot know what this has meant.  None of us can see into the future
to know what would have happened without your help.  But I could see
enough that I was really afraid.

Lisette