From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 07:32:27 EDT
Hi everyone,

I have been following the FML since my move to DC.  First thanks to all
who gave me housing advice re northern VA vs. DC as far as ferrets.  I
love Washington DC and would love to live in "the District", looking at
the Washington Monument and all this history, but I have "my 3 sons" to
think of.

My reason for writing is this: my son-in-law read an article in the
Washington Post regarding HUD in DC supporting animal ownership in public
housing; however the DC Humane Society is "against the ownership of
ferrets".  So son-in-law e-mailed the Humane Society asking why they take
such a hard line against ferrets when, in fact, they are as docile as
hampsters, rabbits and other small pets and make no noise.

The Humane Society in DC replied: "We get quite a few in our shelters
and are familiar with them.  We do not make them directly available for
adoption, mostly because they are not legal in DC, but utilize a ferret
rescue group, which takes them and places them in carefully screened homes.
The problem we have with ferrets is not that they are dangerous, it is that
they are easily and frequently abused and neglected.  It's the same problem
that we have with other exotics and small animals.  To my knowledge, there
is no move to make ferrets legal in the District, and some of the fans of
ferrets with whom I have spoken over th eyears are reluctant to make them
legal, given that so many would likely end up abused.  I don't know how the
Washington Humane Society would ultimately respond to a move to legalize
ferrets".

This was written by Jim Monsma of the Washington Human Society.  I am quite
confused, as I thought the idea was to legalize these little guys and girls
country-wide.  I wrote letters and supported the CA movement a few years
back, and I realize they're still struggling.  Is it true that we, as
ferret owners and lovers, do NOT want legalization in DC?  Can someone
tell me?  Which rescue group is working with this department and finding
homes for our friends?  If anyone can shed any light on this, I'd really
appreciate it.  I haven't been on the FML for a few years, so I might have
missed any discussions on the subject; if so, I apologize.

Thanks for any insight,

Judi in DC