From:
Gina Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jun 1996 19:17:53 -0400
Well, I've done it now!  Paleface is no longer an "only child."

It all started innocently enough.  A few e-mails here and a few e-mails
there.  So many folks regaled me with tales of the happy hoards of ferrets
that inhabited their homes.  I pondered and puzzled... Would Paleface be
happy with a little sibling?

Then I met Meg.

"Come visit," she said.  " I think I have the ferret for you.  His (baby)
name is Spike for the little tuft of hair that stands up on his head.  He's
the runt of the litter, a beautiful little sable with a spirit too big for
his body."

It was love _before_ first sight.

The e-mail flew and phone calls were made.  "In for a penny, in for a
pound," said Meg.  "Perhaps you would like to take Spike's albino brother
(baby Sugar) with you as well.  They're awfully attached and he's
beautiful." Sugar and Spike, too cute.  But I really only wanted one...

Rationalization set in before I even got in the car.  They'll keep each
other company.  It would be easier for Paleface if he wasn't the only one to
entertain the new baby... Welllll... O.K.  ; )

The long trip to D.C.  was made.  I couldn't wait to meet Meg and her
menagerie!  Finally on Friday evening we went to visit.  Meg arrived in a
bustle of packages, ferret food, ferret litter, ferret toys!  A happy
meeting indeed.  After a brief chat, the moment had arrived.  Into the
ferret chamber we went.  The door opened to reveal a roomful of beautiful,
bright-eyed, silky-coated, goregeous babies.  I was delighted!  Ferrets of
all colors and shapes, all healthy and plump, dancing and chuckling,
wrestling and leaping!  They were all so magnificent!

Then, from out of their ferret-tent they came... Mom-ferret (the lovely Ms.
Katyln), baby Sweet Pea the blaze, and my boys Sugar and Spike.  How could I
not love them at first sight?  We played with the babies.  While I was
ecstatic, Paleface was less than enthused.  He cared not for the "wild
animals." Sugar ran about, going a-viking as Meg so accurately called it.
He is fearless and brave.  Little Spike was more cautious, preferring to
survey the world from the safety of my T-shirt.  My momma's-boy.  What a
pair!

These sweet babies have made the journey home with me.  I have given them
their "grown-up" names.  Sugar, the fearless albino who goes a-viking has
been fittingly been named Gunnar the Red.  Spike, my little momma's boy (who
is now too busy exploring to be cuddled) is now called Daniel Tiger.

Paleface, my boy, has become intrigued.  He enjoys visiting the "wild
animals" in the cage.  Paleface has already stashed little Spike away for
safe keeping and has wrestled Gunnar (and won!).  I will be sure to keep you
all posted as the boys become friends.

In the meanwhile, watch out for Meg!  Her love and enthusiasm for ferrets is
contagious!

Gina
and
Paleface and Gunnar the Red and Daniel Tiger