From:
Sharon Mclaughlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 11:25:10 -0500
Kurt & Sara Petersen Wrote..
>As shelter people, we felt that we had to respond to Sharon McLaughlin's
>complaint that she wasn't allowed to adopt because she lived in a no-pets
>apartment.  Ask your local shelter how many ferrets have come to them or
>come BACK to them because of no-pet apartments, and maybe you will begin
>to understand why they would not adopt to you.  Many ferret shelters will
>not adopt to people who live where ferrets are illegal for the same
>reasons.  We don't mean to doubt your love for your ferrets, we're sure
>that yours are very well loved.

I am actually shocked that I didnt receive any flames to my post, but there
was a mis understanding.  I do not hold it against shelters that they will
not adopt to me because I live in a No Pets Apartment.  I totally agree
with it.  They do not know me, do not know that Me and My Fiance make a
very good living and Live in New Jersey, 5 minutes right outside New York
City and Apartments are a dime a dozen, and we will pick up and move with
no problem.  I have had my ferrets for over 5 years in a no pets apartment
and never had any trouble.  But I DO agree with the policy, because maybe
others are not inclined to just pick up and move.  My Problem Lies with the
people posting how ALL Pet Stores should stop selling ferrets.  I used the
shelter turning me down as an example to ask, if Pet stores stopped selling
ferrets..  Then Where would I get one?  It irks me when People say Your
EVIL for buying pets in pet stores, yet its the only place I can get them
and thats what pet stores are for.  They are very well Loved and Taken Care
of no matter where I get them or where I live.  (Just ask my vet about the
$3000 I've paid trying to keep Woobie Alive for the Past 2 years!)

Another Note about MF.... My 2 newest ones are Marshalls, they were 4
Months old when I got them from the Pet Store, they were raised on
Marshalls food in the pet store.  That is all they will eat!  Now If all
Pet Stores stop carrying Marshalls, what happens?  They refuse the food my
older 2 eat, which is a mixture of 8 in 1, Eukanuba and Totally Ferrets
when I can find it.  I have and Big Garbage Pail filled with this mixture
(cheaper to buy Huge Bags) and wish they would eat it, but they wont.  I
tried to mix Marshalls into the mixture but they dig all the food out and
only eat the Marshalls anwway.  If Marshalls is all they will eat, then I
have no choice but to buy their products and I dont feel guilty one
bit.  :)

Sharon (Smaccie)
Woobie, Princess, Crystal and Mystic