From:
"Tara C. Radford" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 02:33:01 -0700
We used to live on a large lake and our neighbors in the small home below
our property had a large black German Shephard.  One night about 2am we
heard this terrible noise.....Jerry jumped up & got dressed, grabbing a
shovel sitting outside.  We had no idea what it was, but "some thing/one"
was screaming.  Jerry ran towards the sound,down to the lake...lights
went on and low & behold a group of very big raccoons had the dog,they
were dragging her into the water & trying to drown her....two were
pushing her head down and another was just grabbing... and biting...one
was actually holding a large rock.

Had Jerry & the neighbors not witnessed it,they would not of believed it.
Poor dog was terrified.It took 2 big adult men screaming themselves, to
scare away the raccoons.The dogs owner & Jerry took her to the ER where
she was stitched from head to rear,gashes to her body..... She was kept
inside from then on, unless supervised.

There are still, many raccoons around here & i personally know of 2 cats
that were killed by them.One was our cat,Joe.

The Vet said he could tell by the bite marks.Pretty gorey.I'll spare you
the details;( Our cats were not allowed outside, but Joe had snuck out.
This was at 2 separate residences,many years apart.. so it was not a
band of gang member,renagade raccoons..

So just a heads up.Raccoons are Adorable,however they CAN be Brutal....
Plus in Oregon,recently found to be carrying distemper!  Be sure to
vaccinate!

Best Wishes,
Tara

Join our Ferret Group!! Club Med Ferrets
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/clubmedferrets

NEW! Go shopping with CMF, proceeds go to Shelters!
http://www.geocities.com/clubmedferrets

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well preserved body ,but rather to skid in broadside,
throughly used up,totally worn out,and LOUDLY proclaiming...WOW!  What
a ride!