From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 09:51:55 -0700
Ela Heyn wrote;
>The SIERRA CLUB opposed ferret legalization?  Why?  I've always liked
>and supported this organization in the past ... but I sure won't be
>doing so in the future if they are going to take a stand opposing ferret
>legalization!

I am from CA CA Land and this is my understanding of the repsonse from the
Sierra Club and California Waterfowl Association.  They did support
legalization of Ferrets in the past.  When CDFA split into two groups CDFA &
Californias for Ferret Legalizations not all of the years of experience and
lessons learned was transferred to the new group CFL.  I was told in the
past that Bill Phillips the attorney for CDFA produced a report for Sierra
and Calif Waterfowl that showed the benefit of legalizating ferrets.  The
report showed that if people were given the choice of ferrets or cats
probably 100,000 would choose ferrets over cats, and by doing this you would
add 100,000 ferrets and reduce cats by 100,000 which would save birds etc..
That report and contact to those groups did not happen and that is why
Sierra & Waterfowl were against the legalization of ferrets.  That is my
understanding.  Live and learn.

Zachery, try putting large rocks around the base of the plant - it works
for me.

[JR]