From:
erin mccarthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2007 09:41:03 -0800
Ok, so I have done a little, not a lot, of research. I found out that
Doug is no longer considered a breeder for pets. Is this true? I found
out that he is only considered a pelting farm now. If this is true then
the local humane society probably can't help in the rescue efforts.
Consider contacting the agricultural department.

This is an Ohio issue. It is awsome that the Michigan Ferret Rescue has
stepped up to help with this problem. As an Ohio resident myself, I say
that if the authorities down near DM won't/can't do anything, then we
have to go over their heads.

Lora, I know you are probably getting upset by all the FML's members
going off about contacting the authorities and paying DM for the
ferrets. I know that the members are not trying to say that this is
wrong. You have got all of us irate over this and the first thing that
comes to anyones mind is, call the cops. Your second post, the one that
had all the info. had nothing in it about what you guys are doing when
it comes to the authorities. Now I did read in todays FML that the
authorities have been called and they won't step in. WHY won't they
step in? Are they just being lazy or is there something with the law
down there that ties their hands? Please, post an explanation on this
topic, so we can understand why the authorities won't get involved.
This will tell us, for what ever the reason, how we as individuals can
help there. If their hands are tied, then bombarding the authorities in
that area with complaints won't help, but if they are just being lazy,
then maybe it could help. I will appologize for myself, since I know I
asked why the authorities havn't been called. I should have worded that
question, "Why arn't the authorities involved?"

Also Lora, I e-mailed you on Sunday. I am a member of F.E.R.T., a
ferret group in Toledo, Ohio. We want to help, and would like to help
you in any way possible now. Please, let me know if you have recieved
my e-mail and/or respond to it so that we can get the ball rolling on
our end to help you.

As for the rest of the FML. I know that paying for these ferrets really
isn't what we want to do, but if that is the only way possible right
now to save some of these babies, then that is what has to be done.
Personally, I would rather see some ferrets saved then none. Plus, in
those conditions, I am sure that there are ferrets there that are in
dire medical need and can't wait for the massive rescue. This rescue
will take time and I am sure that some of those babies don't have time
to waste. It is sad that only a few can be rescued at a time, but if
all of us would pitch in a little bit of money, then more can be saved.
Bite your tounge on your feelings of paying DM and just realize that
by offering your financial help you have saved a precious ferret from
death. If you are really adimate about not paying for the ferret, then
at least donate for medical care or food and daily care. I am sure that
if you send a check to the Michigan Ferret Rescue with a note saying
that the money has to go to medical care only, that they will respect
your request.

Please have some understanding on what is going on and also some
patience. I have faith in Lora and all those who are helping her that
everything that can be done has been done or is being done. We might
not like how we can help right now, but such is life and we have to
suck it up and do our part.

Erin

P.S. Lora, you might want to post an address where people can send
donations.