From:
Robynn McCarthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 02:50:34 -0400
Firstly I would like to wholeheartedly agree that we (I'll not point
fingers, I'll include everyone) FML subscribers need to remember that this
list is ABOUT ferrets, for ferret owners so we can help each other with
problems, answer questions and address the special needs that arise from
owning a wonder weasel.  It's not about your religious beliefs, it's not
about your sexual orientation, and it's not about shaming others who may
not be the same as you are.

That said I would like to address what I consider to be a serious problem
that we're having here in North Carolina (I speak specifically of the
Triangle area that comprises Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill because that
is where I live).  I also believe, from what I've noticed lately, that this
is a problem in many other parts of the country.  I'll come right out and
say that too many - TOO MANY - ferrets are being abandoned in our area, and
we're running out of places for them to go.

Our club contact, and other members of the Triangle Ferret Lovers Club
(www.trifl.org) are being deluged with calls, and we're getting about
three ferrets a week (sometimes more) surrendered specifically to us from
individuals and from organizations like our local Animal Protection
Societies.  This does not include ferrets that are being given up or put
up for sale through our local paper, at the rate of about two a day, many
of which end up with us when the owners give up trying to sell them.  Our
non-profit club is comprised of about 40 individuals who do constant fund
raising to support our shelter, The Ferret Guardian Rescue Haven
(www.ferretguardian.org).  Unfortunately, the shelter is pretty much full
with ferrets who have terminal illnesses, are recovering from or require
adrenal or other surgeries, thus leaving no room for the large influx of
healthy ferrets that need a place to go.

Many of our members have adopted or are fostering these animals, to give
them at least a temporary home and to take care of their needs, but this
isn't a permanent solution.  We can't all adopt every ferret that comes our
way.  We have begun calling potential adopters in states to the North in
Virginia in Maryland (where I keep hearing ferrets are hard to come by),
but we will then have to co-ordinate transportation.  When these resources
dry up, assuming they work out, what then?

I've noticed that many people from all over the country are looking for
homes for ferrets through the FML, and many shelters have put out calls
for help because they are overwhelmed.  We've had the debate about the
consequences of ferrets becoming more popular.  We seem to still be in
throws of debates over Marshall Farms and pet stores.  I don't really want
to start that again, what I do want to know is: where are all these ferrets
going to go?

It becomes very depressing to get calls day after day (I speak for our
tireless club contact who does most of the work) from people who are
moving, tired of their ferret, want a different pet and not a ferret, don't
want the responsibility, have a sick ferret and don't want to pay for vet
bills..etc.  and are surrendering their animals to us for these reasons.
Whenever a ferret is found and turned in to our local APS we post found
fliers and notices, and we've yet to have anyone claim a lost ferret.
We're overwhelmed, getting short on funds and we see no end in sight.
What comes now?  If there are other clubs or shelters who have been or
are in this position, I would love some input or solutions if you have
some.  Rather, all of us at TriFL and the droves of ferrets in need of
homes, would love to hear from you.

note- this is NOT a guilt trip for those who need to for some reason give
up their ferrets, it is simply a fact that people most often give up their
animals to us for the reasons above.  It isn't my place to say if their
reasons for surrendering their pets are right or wrong, I am not passing
judgement, I just want some input on how to find homes for these animals.

Thanks for listening,
Robynn McCarthy (four ferrets at my feet, all adopted and very sweet)
Triangle Ferret Lovers, Raleigh North Carolina