From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 1996 09:57:12 -0500
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Alan Moen <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Sick Ferret
>My little girl (about 18 months old, spayed) is very sick and my vet hasn't
>found the problem.  She seems alert and attentive, but her hindquarters are
>seemingly paralyzed.  She drags them behind her when she moves around.

Rear limb weakness and/or paralysis can be due to any illness.  Hypoglycemia
is the most common but unlikely in a ferret this age.  The normal values so
far eliminates a lot of the obvious causes.  I would aim for metabolic (try
to check blood sugar, kidney function), tumor, or possible gastro-intestinal
disease.

>From:    Pam Franklin <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Need help fast!
>I received some test results in on my ferret Oreo.  Well today I got the
>answer I was hoping to avoid and now I need help!.

If only the estrogen is high on the Tennessee test, the ferret has
functioning ovarian tissue and not adrenal tissue.  Lysodren is not going to
help.  The ferret needs to have that ovarian tissue located surgically (not
easy sometimes) and removed.  Short term, repeated use of HCG will help.

>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Help with choking needed

I usually try to gently shake the obstruction out.  I interlock my fingers
palms up.  Place the ferret on its back in your palms with the head between
your thumbs.  Hold the ferret s head with your thumbs so the entire cervical
spine, thoracic spine and head are immobile in your hands.  Then gently
swing the ferret through your legs.

>From:    STAC <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Overweight ferret...

Some ferrets get fat for the winter. It s probably normal.

>From:    Mustang Charlie <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Post surgery report on my guy
>Just read with interest about a week in the life of a fert who had adrenal
>surgery.  My 7 year old, Billy-Bob had adrenal surgery two weeks ago.

Adrenal disease is not associated with pancreas problems and hypoglycemia.
Consider your ferret having two separate diseases - adrenal and insulinoma.
If the adrenal disease re-appears, remember that Lysodren (the medical
management option for adrenal disease) can cause severe hypoglycemia in its
own right.  Not something you want to subject an insulinoma ferret to.

>From:    "Whitten, Carrie L" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Lysodren???

Lysodren (by Bristol Meyers Squibb) is generically known as mitotane or
o,p -DDD.  It selective kills a percentage of the adrenal gland (which has
a high regenerative capacity).  It is a lifelong medication.

Side effects: 1) nausea

Disadvantages: 1) may not work, 2) ferrets may vomit a lot, 3) lifelong, 4)
cost over the life of the ferret may be more than the surgery, 5) may cause
hypoglycemia.  Advantages: 1) non-surgical, 2) cheaper in short run

>From:    Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Spleen surgeries, vet questions
>Charlie and Zipper had spleen surgery yesterday.  Both spleens were huge, as
>big as my hand and weighed 1/4 of a pound each.

The criteria I use for removing spleens: 1) lumpy-bumpy regardless of size
(my concern is lymphosarcoma), 2) pet not doing right (not eating, rear limb
weakness, etc.) if spleen is over 3 times normal size, 3) gargantuan spleens
(my concern is rupture).  Remember that most enalrged spleens are a reaction
to some inflammation in the body.  A common one is chronic helicobacter
gastritis.

>From:    Chris & Shelley Knudsen <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vet questions
>Hello all!  Just a couple of questions for the vets.

If it is not healing, remove it and get it biopsied.

>Second question: We have a playful sable male, Timone, about 2 yrs old in
>our shelter who was stepped on before he came to us.  He has no bladder...

Harder question.  Rear limb weakness can be due to a lot of things, adrenal
disease is one.  Timone is a little young for adrenal disease so I would
start looking for other things right now.  The incontinence and rear limb
signs suggest a spinal injury.  As for the skin, monitor on the ivermectin.
If the hair regrows and no new hair loss, it probably was mites.

>From:    Lorinda Baker <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Squeegy had ECE,he's now losing hair

Wait for two weeks, if it is hair you should see stubble. If blackheads, no
change.

>From:    Heather Ross <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: possible blockage?
>I'm a little concerned about Fezzick.  I've noticed when I catch him going
>to the bathroom, his poop comes out in small bits (not a big pile like his

If he s always done it and has no other problems, it is probably normal.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH, USA