From:
Susan Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2000 23:32:00 +0000
Granted, this is only my third breeding season so I am still learning a
lot of things from more experienced breeders.  However, back when I first
started researching, before I ever bred my first jill... one of the first
things I was told by a number of sources was you breed a jill for kits once
a year..  no more.

Exceptions??  Well, maybe if it has been like around 11 months AND the jill
is in excellent health AND conditions are ideal etc etc etc..  okay
maybe....

As a ferret lover and hobby private breeder, I was under the assumption
most had the same line of thought as I do.  My ferrets are my pets, my
babies, each and everyone loved and cherished..  all that first and
foremost... breeding is secondary and should never risk the health or
happiness of my pets.

I haven't gotten as many kits as I would like this year either, several
falses myself... some of the falsers were healthy and strong and went back
into season and are being rebred to try again.  But the ones who were kind
enough to give us kits??  They won't be bred again for kits until next
year.  The pregnancy, nursing and raising of kits takes a lot out of their
little systems and they need time to recharge, rest and just be ferrets
for a while.

To anyone who would do otherwise, I ask this question of: Are you breeding
out of love for ferrets and to create healthy, happy pets... or are you
mass producing just to try to turn a profit?