From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2011 12:14:00 -0400
We have had a ferret -- about 30 years ago -- who poofed only once and
that was a danger situation during an accident. (Steve didn't realize
he had knocked down a roller ski and accidentally stepped on it which
sent him barreling across a wood floored room wilding trying to
maintain balance, and Tandy helped by turning tail and poofing.)

We have had one who poofed because of infection and Halekala had her
glands removed when the infection did not respond to meds.

Pivot is different. She poofs in two situations: when she is asleep
and passing gas and those are small poofs, and when she has happy
excitement. To date she has not poofed in a vet appointment but give
her a piece of turkey and guess what? (Hey, maybe for wild polecats it
makes other meat eating species not want the meat or not smell the meat
for long enough...)

So, my question is this: do others have a ferret whose poofing happens
with specific types of excitement? Which situations have caused
poofing?

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/