From:
Kate Pappas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2014 10:28:18 -0800
Princess Michaela is recovering from insulinoma surgery at the CBEAM,
during which an unexpected right-adrenal tumor was discovered. Our
Zorro (who crossed the Bridge last spring) had a right-adrenal tumor
that showed outward symptoms--he went bald. After his surgery, Dr. Maas
gave him a deslorelin implant--and we also got one for his sister
Mickey as a preventative measure.

Mickey had shown no signs of "going adrenal"--her coat is thick and
full and absolutely lovely--so this was a bit of a surprise. Dr. Maas
debulked the tumor cryosurgically and also sent tissue for analysis --
which found that the tumor was inactive! In other words -- the des
implant apparently knocked out any malignancy and essentially put
that tumor "out of commission." (!!!)

Boy howdy, am I thankful that we gave her that des implant -- and
I'm sure she is, too, knowing what her brother went through. Pretty
amazing...

On a side note -- Mickey and Zorro both came from the Washington
Ferret Rescue and Shelter back in 2006 as bonded littermates who
had to be adopted together. Zorro "went adrenal" at the age of
only two-and-a-half, and survived to be over seven years old. Mickey
will be eight next month. I wonder -- with two "right-adrenals" as
littermates... how did the other siblings fare? We'll never know...
but I'll always wonder, and wish them well.

Wishing you and all your fuzzies well, Kate and Mickey