From:
Jose Tracy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 12:07:55 -0400
>Re:  Peaceful Passing
>
>>From:    Ardith <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Peaceful Passing
>
>I did notice that in some cases the passing was a peaceful one.  In other
>words, no intervention with a veterinarian was necessary.
>
>... I would like to ask those of you that have had multiple ferrets for
>a time, what has been your experience.  Have most passed peacefully on
>their own, or have you had to help more often than not.

Here's my two cents....

i have lost 2 fuzzies in the last 1 1/2 years...(but have lost many other
companion animals in the past).
Pepe'.......helped
Tango......at the vet during surgery

I currently have two others that are in advanced stages of Lymphoma and
Insulinoma .  They are all being treated in one way or another, but are
also at age 6 & 7.  I'm not looking forward to the next couple of months
for fear of losing them of course.

>I also see that some of you have made it a point to let the emaining
>ferrets say their *goodbyes* after the death of a little one.  Have you
>always done this?  If not, but now do, do you honestly feel it helped
>the remaining ferret.  In all cases/some cases?

With Pepe', I brought her body home from the vet's office and let my
other fuzzies say their goodbye's.  They each displayed a different way
of acknowledging her.  The sniffed, nudged and licked her, but I feel
that they really knew that she had left her physical body.  I also
brought Tango home for them to say goodbye to as well.  They did the same
thing.  I noticed that Roo (who was Tango's absolute love of his life)
especially acknowledged him by kissing him and then laying her head on
his body, and then walked away.  It was absolutely heartbreaking to
watch, but I do believe it did bring some sort of closure for them.  Even
Chico, (Tango's first play buddy) kept walking back and forth to him and
sniffing/nudging him, then finally walked away.  I found both Chico and
Roo walking around and looking for Tango for the first couple of days,
and they were not very active, but that next week, they resumed playing
like they normally do and love to seek each other out to sleep together.

Personally, it does bring closure for me also because I make sure I wrap
them in their favorite blankie and toy before I have them cremated.  It
also allows me to take the time I need to grieve for them.

Tracy
Chico, Roo (RooBear), Spunky & Leah