From:
Laurie Hanna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 08:55:51 -0600
I have two ferrets, Ashley and Fatboy.  They have an area around their cage
which has a sort of tube maze for their enjoyment.  Otherwise they have a
2000 sq.  ft area (the full basement) when they have free play times daily
(the tube maze and cage are a part of the basement).

I have found them stealing cloths and putting them in the tube (I know
this is pretty normal).  But they have also used the clothing as a sort
of litter and gone to the bathroom on it.

They also have used (once) a hammock and especially its bedding and gone to
the bathroom on it.

They don't lack the litter boxes to use, there are a lot of litter boxes
(especially in and around their cage).  And I think it is the young one
(fatboy) who is about 20 weeks old.

Once recently, I even had to cut fatboy out of one of the tubes, since it
appeared that he had barricaded himself into the tube and I needed to get
him into his cage because I had to get to sleep (if left out they make
plenty of noise that wakes us) and he was scratching to get out.

Any suggestions?

Why would they use stolen clothing or bedding material instead of their
litter box?

Thanks
Laurie in Loveland, Colorado