From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:53:48 EDT
Cool story.  Fun subject.

I think you covered both factors.  1) experience and 2) education.

Certainly experience with like creatures would help a child relate to a
ferret responsibly.  Upbringing is an equal influence I think.  Rarely
do I see a small child - ferret relationship work well without a bit of
each.  It can, but rarely.  Just experience will not help if the child is
not raised properly.  And all the teaching in the world will not prepare
the child to handle a ferret or to walk carefully, etc..

With my kids, it began with bugs.  Literally.  They were boys, so I
didn't want them to be traumatized when their friends stomped on ants,
etc.  At the same time, I didnt want them outside pouring salt onto slugs
all by themselves for kicks.  That's a hard thing to juggle.  I did, for
the most part teach them to never kill the bugs because they don't hurt
us and they help us ... and most importantly ... they have FEELINGS.  We
catch bugs in the house and the release them outside.  Without thought.
This teaches gentleness.  It's hard to capture a bug without damaging
wings and legs and to also not get bitten.  When you start this at a year
old, literally, it wires them to this mentality.  Very important stuff.

Later on, I tried to expose them to wild animals, petstore animals (can
my little boy hold that hamster?), shelter animals, and other peoples
pets.  Then of course we had our own.  I have wonderful videos of Chet at
age two chasing his Snoball around with a foam hockey stick, and playing
Weebles with her.  They barely touched each other they were so careful
with each other.  Chet learned quickly that he was not allowed to run in
the home.  Ever.  This prevented a lapse in thought for when the ferret
was out.  Children should be well behaved and not run in the home anyway.
He learned to shuffle walk early and to be alert.

So, I say, start with a child as a ONE year old.  I say start with the
simple things in life.  Teach them that everything has some type of
FEELINGS.  Also, expose them to animals as much as you can.

Wolfy
http://wolfysluv.jacksnet.com