From:
Kristen Dixie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 02:06:40 -0500
I just thought that I would add my thoughts on getting a JRT pup with
ferrets in the house.  I currently have a four year old female JRT.  She
is scared of Oscar.  When he runs up to her she runs away and gives a
little growl b/c she doensn't want him near her.  I supervise them VERY
closely when they are together and try to make sure that he keeps his
distance from her b/c while has NEVER made an attemtp to snap at him....
you just never know.  When my other dog [a 7 year old terrier mix] plays
with Oscar [they LOVE each other] she sometimes tries to get in on it
simply b/c she's jealous of being left out but at those moments I stop all
play just to be safe.  So in conclusion....they can get along but you MUST
recognize the fact that JRT's were breed to hunt rabbits and foxes and
rodents, etc thus, they are often naturally inclinded to chase/harm such
animals, including ferrets.  You many never be able to have them together
and even if you can...you must be very careful and always watchful.
So..it can be done as long as you are willing AND able to take on the
added responsibility.

kristen, oscar and my crazy girls at home, chaos [JRT] and jo-jo [mix]

p.s.  don't foget to look into rescue and animal shelters for JRTS
desperate for homes although be aware that they might be even less
reliable with your ferrets until serious time has been spent getting
to know them and their behaviour.