From:
Sheena Staples <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 1995 01:16:15 -0700
Recently there has been a large news story in the Vancouver/Lower Mainland
area about a Mink Farmer (eewww) whose mink were mysteriously released in
the dead of night by persons unknown.  Approximately 3000 mink were released
and they have been involved in catching them since the discovery was made in
the early morning.

The news story said something to the effect of the minks being "domesticated
animals" and it was cruel to release them to fend for themselves.

I agree that perhaps releasing them outright was not the wisest thing to do,
as many were run over by cars or killed by animals in the process.  However,
the mink were kept in "cages" no larger than the litterbox in my ferrets'
cages and fed raw meat which was tossed atop the wire cage so the mink would
attack the bars to pull it through.  They were clearly neurotic, running in
circles in the cages, which had wire bottoms and must be tough on their feet.

Anyway, my point to this post is:  are mink considered a domestic animal or
a wild one?  I don't want people in our area confusing them with ferrets...
I just KNOW that if I were to take, say, Milo out for a walk tommorrow, at
least one person would quip "Did you steal that from the mink farm?"  I
would like to respond to this news story with some strong evidence that
indicates mink are in fact NOT domestic, simply wild animals bred in
captivity to make fur coats.

On a side note, I am also curious as to what kind of pet a mink would make
if it were a "domestic" animal.  Is this legal?  Do they get along with
ferrets?  (Mommy, can I have one??)  Tbey were awfully cute...one had a
little white patch on his chin...

Any information would be appreciated, as I would like to be able to clear up
the confusion and also be able to back up my claims.  You may e-mail me
directly if BIG feels this is too off topic.

PS Congrats on the passing of the ferret bill!!  Go ferrets!!

Sheena
Ferrets & Friends Club & Rescue E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
"dedicated to the preservation of the domestic ferret as a
 household pet", a no-kill, not-for-profit ferret facility.
For more information about the FFCR try our homepage:
< http://www.geopages.com/Colosseum/1575 >