From:
Toaster Man <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 6 Jun 1992 15:22:28 -0400
Hi everyone,

I hope everyone is having a good summer.. I all those ferrets that have been
listed are doing well.  Its kinda makes me sad to read about all of them.
But as someone stated before Ferrets are a joy to have. :)
Anyway I have some questions.

1. Litter box training.

I have 2 ferrets (Smokey,Bear)  I have never beleived in keeping them in
their cage.  So they are free to roam my room to explore,explore,explore.  :)
I have them paper trained.  I live in a big 3 story house with my roomates
and in my room i have wood floors.. I will be moving to the bastment next
month and it is carpeted.  Its a little easier to clean up messes off of wood
floors than carpet.  I have been trying to train them to use the litter box
but not hope :(
What I do is every time they wake up when im around I watch them and when I
seem the squatting in the corner I pick them up and put them in the litter box
and wait until their done.  Then I give them a big treat of linatone.  I have
been doing this for about 3 months and I have had no luck. :(  Could the
litter box be to small?  Can I use a regular Cat box?  My litter box has
a little ram on it so they can get in it.

2.  What type of food can I feed them?  I use science diet (in the blue bag)
  can i feed them cat food the meat kind?  Or what have u guys found that they
like the best?

I had that water bed problem a while back..  Smokey likes to sleep under my
water bed sheets.  One day they were exploring under my sheets and found
the hole were u fill r up.  I got home and sat on my bed and it was soaking.
:(  After screaming a bit I noticed that they had chewed little holes in the
bed by the hole.  So I went to the store and bought a new materes (sp) $50
ouch..  I began to spray the plastic with bitter apple each time they went
under the bed.  I thought I had the probelm solved.  Well a couple of weeks
later, in fact it was new years eve 5 min to midnight..  The little carpet
sharks had attacked the water bed again.  I managed to patch it up.  I continued
to spray my water bed each time they were around it and very heavy doses around
the hole..  Just try to condition them.  They will hopefully stop..  Its almost
impossible to stop a determind ferret from getting on your bed.

Good luck.....

OH one more question what type of yearly checkups should I have for my ferrets?
Right know they only go in for their yearly disempter shot.

Long live the Carpet Sharks..  (Smokey,Bear)

Steve Tietze.
VisioNary Graphics/Video.