From:
John Rosloot <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 11 May 1994 14:35:01 -0400
     Hi all. I know this has been covered before, but I have some questions
about what vaccinations ferrets require.

     I believe it's been stated on the List that the only shots ferrets need
are for rabies and for canine distemper. I've been looking over my pair's
records. Buddy, my male, has always been given canine distemper shots, as
well as canine hepatitis and leptospirosis, and feline rabies and distemper.
Cassidy, my little girl, has gotten all the same shots except she always gets
canine rabies shots instead of feline.

     Are all these shots necessary? I'm not concerned about the price, but
why give them shots they don't need? Besides, with all I've heard of ferrets
occasionally having dangerous reactions to vaccines, I'd rather not increase
those odds by giving them 2.5 times the number of shots they need. Also, why
has Cassie gotten different rabies shots than Buddy? I think I asked my vet
about this before, and he said they should be equally effective.

     I hate to try to tell my vet his job. He seems quite knowledgeable;
when I've discussed things with him that I'd read about on the List he
always seemed well informed about them. When I first saw him he gave me
a 4 page 'ferret-fact sheet' which contains much of the ferret-wisdom I've
seen on the List. The sheet by the way mentions that some researchers believe
ferrets are not susceptible to feline distemper, but that reliable reports
to the contrary do exist.

     What do you all think? Bud's scheduled to go in for his vaccinations
this Saturday, so if I can get some advice before then I'd appreciate it.

John, Buddy, and Cassidy

P.S. Congrats to Michelle (of the MASKeteers :) on the huge success of her
     radio ferret interview. Way to go Michelle!