From:
Carla Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 1996 01:04:24 -0400
Hello!  Oh, I have missed my daily FML fix... I'm not quite caught up on all
of the issues I missed, yet, but I'm working on it.  It's good to finally
have the 'pooter back and running right...

Re: Waterbeds - A couple of my critters love to "breakdance" on the
waterbed.  My husband (who insisted on - and broke himself - the rule about
"no pets in the bedroom") likes to take Litje in and set him in the center
of the bed.  Litje will brace himself, and wait... Steve will "punch" the
edge of the bed, which causes Litje to PoP!  up into the air - he comes down
open-mouthed and spraddle-legged, and Steve will punch the edge again.  This
continues until Litje can no longer land on his feet, but is so crazy that
he winds up dancing all over the bed and flipping himself backwards off of
the edge.... Little Siobhan recently discovered the joys of the waterbed for
herself - I was laying on my back, talking on the phone, when our son crept
in and set her on the bed.  Next thing I knew, he was making the bed rock,
and I had an up-close vision of four pink-and-white clawed "starfish" paws
and a wide open mouth sailing close over my face.... and back again....
several times she managed to time her jumps with the waves in the bed, which
gave her an extra "oomph," and excited her even more.  She amused herself
with playing leapfrog over me for several minutes.  I've never had a problem
with any of the ferrets trying to bite the mattress, although they do love
to burrow under the pillows.

Re: Not handling ferrets when you've got a cold - Litje has a problem with
chronic bronchitis and is very sensitive to picking up any type of
contagious respiratory infection.  I picked up a box of filter masks at the
drug store - the inexpensive disposable ones made of paper, with an elastic
strap.  Since I started wearing the masks around the ferrets whenever I get
sick, I've kept my colds & such to myself and I've had fewer vet visits with
them.

Re: Troy's new frisbee ferret game - Loved it!  I'm going to have to try it
out.  We have a similar game, which I call "Panning for Ferrets." I store
their litter in a large trash can.  When I'm cleaning, the can lid is
usually on the floor within their reach.  One day, the lid was upside down,
and Litje was laying in it.  On impulse, I started "swishing" the lid,
rocking it back and forth, and he wound up sliding tail first all the way
around the inside of the rim.  I stopped, to see whether he liked it, and he
gave me a look that reminded me of the Baby on Dinosaurs - "aa-GAIN!!" So...
round and round and round he goes, diving back in when he tumbles out, and
building up one crazy static charge in his fur... I've tried it with the
other ferrets, but none of the others seem to like this kind of game as much
as Litje does.

Well, since my last post a month ago, I've found a home for my last two
available "foster kids." The best thing is, they went together!  Their new
family are club members, with other ferrets.  Last time I went up to visit,
they acted like they didn't even remember me, the ingrates!  Ah, well, they
have even more toys and such there than I do, and are spoiled and indulged
absolutely shamelessly.  Heh.

Bob - I just read of your loss - and I wanted to say I'm sorry.  It's not
easy losing a fuzzbean, especially not so suddenly.  You're right - none of
them are replaceable.  To all others who have lost a ferret recently, you
also have my sympathy and prayers.  I've been there, and I know how it can
hurt.  Bless you all.

Take Care.
Carla S.
Rio Grande Domestic Ferret Club