Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 2010 01:11:44 -0800
Finalizing a life we've cherished is never an easy thing to do. We'd
all want to absolve ourselves from the dread of making that final
decision by our companion simply "leaving on their own". Unfortunately
a quiet leave of absence seems to be the rarity. We owe it to our
beloved fuzzy friends to allow them to leave with their dignity intact,
knowing who they are with some sense of self worth.

Early onset "Juvenile Lymphosarcoma" forced me to make that awful
decision for my second shadow Josie when she was only 14 months old.
Knowing Josie as my constant companion through my work day and at home.
Sharing miles over the road and walking trails and city sidewalks -
seeing this disease drain the life from such a vibrant friend was
shattering! But being there with her for those final moments left me
with indelible memories of how she gave me her final kiss, how she did
see something fun, and exciting to go investigate. I could have brought
her home to expire on her own, once the diagnosis had been made. But
that would not have been fair to my sweet little girl. She deserved
to go on her own terms, at least with some ability to go on another
adventure. Knowing she was loved right to the very end and beyond.

Fozzy, a rehome to me, faded after years of battling insulinoma but
only months on Pred. He didn't exhibit any indications of being in
pain. But he definitely began fighting against his meds at the end
and also stopped eating. He went fairly quietly, but the reality was
it was days of simply lingering as his body functions waned.

Faylene stuck around for another 9 months. I'm convinced she stayed on
my account. Then one day she simply stopped eating or drinking and no
amount of force feeding, syringing, begging or dabbing could cajole her
into eating. She simply said, "I'm done! I want to be with my Fozzy!" I
came home from work and she was cold. I wished I could have been there
to say good bye to her.

Mimzy, a rescue, went into a full blown insulinomic seizure Christmas
night. Screaming, frothing, reddened nose and paws, gnashing teeth.
Neither Karo syrup, pedialyte nor honey brought her out of it. She
passed away in my arms. If there had been time to get her to a vet
or one that would have been available that night - there wouldn't be
much they could have done to save her, but a quick end to her obvious
distress would have been a bittersweet kindness. Texts will report that
the ferrets aren't screaming from pain during these seizures - but
you can't prove it by what I witnessed. All I could do was hold her,
wrapped in a towel and comfort her. Mimzy's former owner said she'd
been poisoned by some unknown household chemical. The same stuff that
killed her cage mate. After the poisoning she was no longer "fun for
the kids" so they put her out back in the cage with the rabbit. Mimzy
got a brief lease on a new life for 6 months with me - but insulinoma
took her violently. I wouldn't wish that to happen for any other
ferret!

Kosmo, a naked wandering rescue, became a real ferret, danced and
dooked, ate naturally and donned a new full fur coat! But he was an
elderly ferret, and although getting treated with Lupron and Melatonin
for adrenal and Pred for insulinoma - just short of a year, he started
fading, becoming uncoordinated, lost interest in eating unless hand fed
and then finally even refusing that, anything he did eat went straight
through him, and caused him difficulties balancing to use his potty. I
took him to the vet for a final send off. His normal reaction to a vet
visit was to stand up and look out or climb out the open top of the
carrier. Visit with the techs and other patients. But that day he
simply sat up. Sniffed where he was. Looked straight at me, let out
a huge sigh and layed back down. He'd given me his signal, to say
goodbye. He offered me a final kiss and the tears flowed as he went
on his last grand adventure at the hands of the vet.

To say its kinder to let them go on their own is to take the easy way
out. Sometimes the way they go "on their own' is NOT quiet, nor swift
nor pain free. To give them a final send off while they can still be at
least somewhat themselves, and know they have family at hand and know
they are loved and can get the chance to offer their own final good
byes is the harder choice to make - but it is the right choice! When
you get to a point where you are wondering if "it is time", then it IS
time.

For all the moments of laughter and happiness they give us, the quiet
companionship during a nap or when reading, their mesmerizing gazes
that sear into our souls, the chatter they engage us with, the
countless amusements they offer us - the least we can do is give them
one short final respite from their pains and problems.

Your happy memories will far out weigh the tears of his passing.
Knowing you've done what you can to give him his best chance and have
offered him a final dignified send off will serve as consolation for
the difficulty of the decision.

Take heart, sometimes the kindest thing to do is one of the hardest
things to do.

Cheers,
Kim

please visit :