From:
Joanne Ruffner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 09:12:44 -0700
>Subject: The shelter the day after Cheyenne dies
>
>I spent yesterday at the ferret shelter.  Seeing all the bald babies
>that are going to die there that get only 30 minutes out each day is so
>heartbreaking.
>
>Seeing these guys --knowing they will be here until they die--is
>disturbing

Ok....I am not going to bash anyone here.  However, I really think that
something needs to be done for these ferrets.  They need to get out of
that shelter.  Not that the shelter is doing anything wrong....but they
have WAY too many ferrets and they are not getting the attention they
need.

Our shelter had volunteered to help, however they informed me that
another shelter was taking 20 of them so they would be ok.  Yes, I am
far away however, I had asked about doing a "rescue chain" to help.

What can we do as the ferret community to come together and put these
little ones in new homes or shelters?  There is NO REASON for these
little bald ones to die.

I am sorry if this sounded like an attack.  It is really not meant to be.
Just upset about it all.  To know they only get out for 30 minutes a
day...and the rest is spent in a cage....come on!  If an owner did that
don't you think that you would be upset?  Yes, I know, the shelter is
full and there is WAY too much work to do.  I run our shelter and I know
and understand that....and we don't have that many in.

My suggestions?

1. They need to find these little ones new homes or new shelters
2. Change their adoption policy to allow families with kids to adopt
3. Solicit volunteers to help (don't know if they already do this)
4. Let the ferret community help!

Joanne