From:
Stephanie Daniels <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 13:02:58 GMT
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who sent me a note about camping
with ferrets...once again, I chickened out.  It was probably for the
better, though.  hmpf.

There will be more trips this month, and if I can get up the nerve, I will
take the mountain rats.  BUT, I will have to buy a travel cage so they will
fit somewhere between the tent and the sleeping bags. :)

Will a 14Wx24Lx18H cage suffice for two ferrets for a weekend trip?

This campground was nice, but not sure the actual campground was
ferret-friendly due to the number of BIG dogs off-leash.  I was kindly
chased into the bath-house by a giant (bigger than a great dane) Doberman
who I attempted to ignore 'til he barked and growled at me...I flew into
the stall and almost screamed...the owner called him off....and I...a dog
lover.  This was only after the previous morning's encounter: I was walking
down the gravel road to the bath house when a chocolate lab comes out of
a campsite- wagging his tail.  Well, I stopped and let him sniff me...he
hunkers down and growls at me--- the owner calls him off.  Jeesh.  Good
thing I didn't have ferrets there on leashes.

Well, the next campground we go to may be more commercial, so the ferrets
will be a bit safer (they patrol the grounds to make sure dogs are on
leashes)

Needless to say, the ferrets were impressed with our smokey pillows and
went to great lengths to "become one" with the pillows when we got home.

Thanks for all the help,
Stephanie, Chimi & Pepe ("mom, Chimi is in love with the baby sitter")