From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 May 2002 01:16:16 -0400
>I am asking this question, for a friend of mine.  Has anyone had a ferret
>that has developed a nose bleed?  Their ferret started having one Saturday
>night.  They have seen some Sunday & Monday.  Watery looking.  This ferret
>may also have insulinoma and is about 4 years old.  Not sure what day,
>they have their vet appointment.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Dear X:

Nose bleeds are not a good sign in ferrets.  The most commonly seen signs
of blood at the nostrils are seen with bleeding gastric ulcers - however,
this sign is most commonly seen in dying ferrets; it takes a lot of blood
to be coughed up like this.

Fungal infections and tumors in the nasal cavity can also result in
nosebleeds in ferrets.  These are really difficult cases to diagnose, as
you can't see up the nose, and any lesions are generally encased in the
nasal cavity.

A careful X-ray of the head may disclose a mass lesion, or erosion of the
bones of the nasal cavity.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM