From:
Melissa McDaniels <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 18:40:14 EDT
I remain strong in my conviction that every sentient being deserves
compassion.  It's a belief strongly based in the faith I practice and it
makes me a better person in my own eyes.  If being angry at me for my
post eases your grief or suffering you are more than welcome to be angry
at me for what I said for as long as need be.  The facts you wrote about
were facts that, yes, I was fully aware of before I posted my message.

When I first heard about the situation I E-mailed TLE and she very
graciously emailed me back with a list of several sites I could go to for
the whole story.  I still believe that it is a sad thing that she will
never understand "IT."  The real "It" is something she can never take
from any of us.  She may have taken the physical presence of "It" away,
but the "It" I refer to can never be taken away.  You and I have felt
"It" shelter moms and dads have felt "it," everyone on this list knows
"It" and the sacredness of "It."  "It" is the feeling you get when they
come into your life and touch your heart in way no one outside the ferret
world seems to understand.  "It" is all the key/shoe/sock (insert object
here...) stealing that makes us smile.  The laughter that they bring into
our lives, and yes even the tears that comes with them.  "It" isn't just
the fun times, it's the times we worry about them when they are sick or
missing or have passed.  "It" is the reason you cry when you read a sad
post about someone else's loss.  THAT is why I feel sorry for her, she
doesn't have "it" and very well may never... "It" is what we have to
fight for, what we have to put all anger and animosity aside for.  All
animals deserve to have that special someone in their lives who can
provide all the love and adoration they deserve.  I'm not saying I feel
sorry for her because she did these terrible and horrible things that
caused so much suffering to so many people.  I'm not saying I want to
help her destroy more lives.  I am a realistic person and that's what I
think she did.  She irreparably damaged the physical and emotional beings
of many people involved.  For your (and their) strength you are to be
congratulated and admired.  We can't fix the situation, I think everyone
that pitched in and gave willingly and lovingly of their time and support
did the best they could and although spirit and the others are gone the
fight is long from over.  That is all I meant by my post.  It may have
only made it to your local community, but I refer to the potential the
situation has within itself.  Hypothetically, if every FMLer became an
active advocate in this situation and each of them only received local
attention for their work.  they would be making leaps for the cause while
they may only be capable of volunteering a baby step of their own time
and resources.  All I'm saying is that anything is possible if you come
at it strong enough and with the right attitude.  I understand your anger
at her and the situation.  I'm not saying it's wrong for you.  There's a
lot of healing involved in this situation for everyone who worked to get
spirit home and it will probably take a long time.  In the end though all
the pain and suffering she has caused will come back to her, and probably
twofold.  We might never know when or how, but my being angry at her from
within my personal life will never accomplish as much as my actions
passionately and intelligently pursued in the name of "IT." I'm sorry you
took offense to my post.  We may never see eye to eye on the concept of
compassion, but in my heart that is the only way I can be.  It doesn't
mean I'm naive, it just means that I try to look beyond the actions of
others and analyze from a realistic and objective perspective.  Life is
too short for me to take things personally.  If you ever need anything,
let me know and I will give 110% of my effort in any way I can.  Until
then may you find an abundance of comfort and peace.