From:
"Meg Carpenter, Chaotic Ferrets" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 21:42:20 EST
This is in response to Betty's post to Sam regarding breeding.  Seldom in
recent years have I been moved to respond to posts such as this.  But this
one..... I don't think you are qualified to make such sweeping judgment on
small breeders nor are you qualified to write such a condemnation on so
many small breeders, many of whom are shelters or rescues as well.  Love
of ferrets motivates the breeders I know.  Where do you think baby ferrets
come from??  Just down conveyor belts at 4 weeks from Marshall Farms & from
shelters who work their butts off to save and find homes for the unwanted.
I know, I know -- breeders should not breed because there are already too
many ferrets needing homes.  Never mind that many of us are working to
hopefully improve ferrets BECAUSE of all the problems.  Let's just get all
the small breeders to stop breeding so that no one will have the ability
of free choice in choosing a pet.  What?  Ferrets bred for profit?  Heaven
forbid such should ever happen to me - am sure I could not live with
myself.  What?  Not making a profit, so why breed?

Betty writes in part:
>I am deeply saddened to hear of any ferrets passing.  But I am angered more
>by the use of animals as breeder animals as it perpetuates the idea of
>animals for profit, what ever that may be.  Why do it in the first place?
>And if a breeder is not in it for the money, then why sell them at all?
>The debate in this issue could also get ugly as it is an emotional one
>indeed.  You say yourself that Slinky's death wouldn't stop you from
>breeding (ferrets I imagine).  It may not be common in the way that she
>died, but as was stated before, the risks were considered acceptable.
>Again, the question comes to mind, what is a life worth to you, especially
>when the risks are considered acceptable.

Betty - Lets use an analogy.  I don't know how old you are or if you have
children or not.  If you have not yet had children, then I suggest that you
do not breed.  If your SO or husband cares anything for you, he will not
breed you.  Because pregnancy for humans carries risk.  And I don't think
you would consider the risks acceptable.  You could get eclampsia, toxemia,
pregnancy induced diabetes, an embolism, ectopic pregnancy, placenta
previa, abruptio placenta, and a number of other conditions.  Twenty-five
percent of all women require a c-section.  The baby might have something
wrong with it.  No, No, don't take the risk.  And, of course, I can, like
you, make the broad assumption that you would not properly care for your
kit, I mean, kid.  And since there is no profit in it - why bother??  After
all, there are plenty of unwanted children to adopt.  It makes me angry to
think you might breed.  Oh, did you say that??

I don't feel any need whatsoever to justify my breeding to you or anyone
else.  Last time I checked, this was a free country.  However, I will make
a few comments.  When my youngest was six, we acquired our first ferret and
went on from there.  She has now graduated college and has married.  All of
our first ferrets were MF and all, save one, lived to between eight and
twelve.  It was some years back now that the age started to drop and those
of us who had ferrets were seeing problems and a lower life expectancy.  I
thought long and hard about breeding before committing to the dedication
and work it would entail.  It was finally a pet store rescue kit, Pepper,
who decided me.  I knew he would only live to 4 or 5 - then the life
expectancy of an MF.  I was a little off, My beloved special and wonderful
Pepper passed on this past spring.  He was 5-1/2 and had been through
bilateral adrenal a-symptomatic matastised cancer, cancer of the pancreas
and other problems.

So, I am breeding ferrets Betty, because I am trying to breed a healthier
animal by improved nutrition and other things.  I don't know if I can give
them a better life, but I am trying.  Do you have a problem with that??  I
am tired to seeing MF ferrets suffer.  None of us really know why, but a
whole lot of people are trying to figure it out - including me.  And I
don't pretend to have any answers.

All of my ferrets are pets first.  All of my ferrets are well treated and
have free roam except when confined with kits or the hobs when in rut - and
they are rotated out daily for good exercise & play time.  My ferrets sleep
with me.  My ferrets come before me.  And my ferrets are happy and the
mothers love their babies and so do I.  There is nothing more that life can
give me than to participate in a beautiful litter of healthy kits who
receive optimum nutrition, care and love.  Many of mine are gifted.  Many
of you here know what that means.  When one of my girls is expecting, I go
around the clock with her.  I set out to try and breed healthy ferrets - so
far they are BIG ferrets and I do not know yet about the health.  All of my
breeders except one are still living.  The first ferrets bred are just now
reaching middle age and I have not heard of any problems as of yet.  But I
digress.

Pam Troutman has a good idea on putting aside money for vet medical care.  I
have always had an emergency fund.  Last year I had a boon and my fund went
to $4,000!  Yippee, yeah!  Well, in a little over a year, I have spent just
under $6,000 on medical care between 3 vets.  Do I have a bunch of sick
ferrets?  No, but I have old-timers and old rescues requiring surgeries.  I
have had spays, routine physicals, our first c-section, a heart patient
that needs to be seen every few weeks, an ulcer patient, ditto, a bite to
Jussy's ear caused an infection that has gone on for months and resulted in
surgery.  And so on and on.  My ferrets receive prompt medical care and
older ones get complete checkups.  My average cost on leaving a vets office
is around $300.  I also keep a completely stocked "ferret pharmacy" as one
of my vets calls it.  Have had several emergencies --- oh, and used the
fund to acquire two hobs of foreign birth for blood lines, donated to some
shelters and loaned money for emergency vet medical care to two of my
friends.

But I guess in the end -- why bother with all of this at all.  You have a
mind set and doubtless nothing will change it.  Live in ignorance Betty.
Nothing is changed unless you try.  I am trying and so are a lot of people
here far better than me.  Meg PS You put your ferrets "at risk" each time
they are out playing because you could step on one.  Is this an acceptable
risk??  Rhetorical question.  Don't answer.