From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2000 13:26:48 -0500
P.S.  to the AVAR note: it would make a LOT of sense to let the cat and dog
lists know about this stance since Teri says that they also want to do away
with pet dogs and cats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Let me know which lists and then
I'll give permission if appropriate and that will also prevent
duplications.

ADV: while I have stayed away from the recent controversy, I think it's
only right that a non-involved party like myself should point out that
repeated testing is the recommended practise for this disease, and that
without it over a good space of time it really isn't possible to assume
that the illness isn't present even though it might not be (or may be).
It could be that what was seen as a criticism was meant merely to be
informative; can't know since I didn't see the originals and have no desire
to do so.  It is marvelously responsible for people to own up to serious
illnesses and the responsibilities involved; those who don't are the ones
who endanger all of our ferrets.  (I thought people were long past blaming
the victims -- should be past that.)  BTW, Amy Flemming has done a HUGE
amount of digging into this disease with multiple researchers.  She is
after yet more information, but when she is done there will be TREASURE
to be read.  She's doing incredible work.

Marked behavioral changes -- especially being more dependent, or being
mouthy, or both can signal the there is a health problem.  We always get
vet check-ups when we see such changes.