From:
Date:
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 13:11:40 -0700
From:    Signe Peerson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Need a Picture...

>I've read about blue-eyed ferrets, but can't remember where.  Does anyone
>have a blue-eyed light colored ferret, or know where I can find a picture
>of one on the Internet?

Most "ruby eyed" ferrets have blue eyes.  The blue is the color of the iris
but like with the full albino you see the color of the inside through the
whole iris not just the pupil.  The light blue adds a maroonish cast to the
albino red.  Sables with blue eyes have a denser pigmentation and appear
much bluer than light colored (with are usually dilutes or partial albino)
ferrets.

I've never seen a picture that shows the blueness.  Your cinnamon boy in
the story would likely have "blue" eyes that appear ruby.

So far I haven't seen angoras that weren't sable, chocolate, champane or
albino.  But its just a matter of time for the other colors (probably).

>From:    Mia and Patrick Emery <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Long haired ferrets
>but we had a little Swedish Long Haired jill (also called an Angora I
>think) come to us.

An angora is more than a long haired ferret.  Most of our Swedish ferrets
have longer hair than our other ferrets.  The mutation that affects the
undercoat is the difference more than the length of the hair from what we
can see in the ferrets.

>Sure enough, the G-d damned Swedes had removed her uterus and left her
>ovaries.

I know this wasn't written by you Mia...  And its a different Tommy than
you author below...

Be very careful about painting the entire population of Sweden with the
same brush.  When Tommy was the breeder in Sweden exporting ferrets to
Lars who imported them into the US the ferrets were properly spayed.
Other more recent Swedish ranches that have sent ferrets over might not
have been as careful.  This probably affects only one breeder's exports.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]