Date:
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 16:03:50 -0500
Hello, happy ferret lovers and fuzzies!

I've not posted much lately due to this ongoing illness, but I had to
comment on this one.

>From:    cC zZaAcCkK gG <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: lube.
>It's water based (as opposed to the Vaseline petroleum), it's minty
>flavored, it's easier to deal with than Vaseline (w/ staining or general
>greasiness)
>
>I would think that Vaseline is bad news for internal ingestion; after
>all we're not supposed to use it for sex, and what's so different about
>a ferret's internals?

I don't think that the reasons to not use petroleum jelly for sexual
lubrication are related to what we want in a hairball remedy for animals.
The only reason to NOT use petroleum products for sexual lubrication is
when you are using condoms.  The oil-based petroleum jelly can weaken the
condom, making it useless.  If condoms aren't a concern, petroleum jelly
works fine as a lubricant.

Now, this part I'm not positive about, just an educated guess, but if
Astroglide is water-soluble, it would mostly likely be absorbed in the
digestive tract, rather than create much of a lubricating factor.  We use
cat hair-ball remedy here, because the ferts love it, why mess with a good
thing?  I can understand the use of petroleum jelly, for insulanomic, or
picky ferts, as an alternative, and because it's cheaper, but I don't
think I'd go giving my kids just any type of oil or 'lubricant' as an
alternative, before I did some research about it's effectiveness, and
safety for ferrets.

All of the fuzzies here are doing well.  We finally got one of them to roll
over for treats, Pepper!  Lol, when we just walk into the kitchen now,
she'll roll over, and then look up at us "Where's my raisin?".  Last Sunday
I took Dessie, my 7 month old boy, and Pepper, our 2 year old to the Pet
Expo.  I was soooo proud of Dessie!  This is a typical 7 month old, who
here at home acts like spending two minutes in your arms is sheer torture,
he's got so much to do!  I guess he was impressed by the crowds and noise,
because he never attempted to get out of my arms, once.  He was content
to let people pet and scratch him, he just wanted to smell all the other
animals on them.  He let people hold him, and let 3 little girls give him
hugs, and acted just as non-chalant as you please.  Even when people
scratched him belly, and he is VERY ticklelish, he just wiggled some, and
didn't try to bite anyone, like he does (gently) when we tickle him at home.
Does anyone else have a ticklelish fert??  I know it's probably cruel to
tickle him, I hate to be tickled myself, but it's really so funny.  I don't
tickle him long, or often, but every now and then, I can't resist. :)

Thoughts and prayers for all who are troubled.
Sherry and her Merry Mob