From:
Gordon Bengtson CI-ASMEL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 May 2006 16:01:52 -0400
Every now and then I take one of the ferts outside for some free romp
and today it was RePete's turn.

I had him with me in the front yard where he would ferret out what ever
prize he may find in the bushes by the front.  I was in there with him
pulling out weeds keeping an eye on him.  He was RIGHT there under my
eyes and then I could not see or find him again!

I searched the bush area we were in but no RePete.  Where I was up
against the house myself he had to go to the other end of the ranch.  I
searched that and found nothing.  From experience I followed the house
where they usually scope things out like a mouse staying close to the
house side but nothing.  They both are quite familiar with the back area
of the house and if he went that way for sure he would have gone to the
back door like always but nothing there or along the path there.

I was frantic!  He was RIGHT there and got away.  A neighbor was about
to leave for what ever and I flagged him down.  Both he and his son
helped me search.

We looked into the neighbor's yard but no luck.  Neighbors were not home
so I went into their back yard to look on the other side of the stockade
fence.  No luck.

We all were searching desperately but nothing.  The friend kept asking if
I had some treat to lure him back but I could not get him to understand
a ferret will not respond to smells or treats when they are out free
exploring the world.  We checked drain pipes and all kinds of things but
no luck.

Finally after an hour the young boy saw RePete on the opposite side of
the neighbor's opposite fence trotting along side the fence!  I was so
relieved!  He had done exactly what I said he would do and that is to
find a wall or something for protection and he was scurrying along that
going for broke and a half!

RePete saw me coming and he ran like crazy under the cars in the street
making for more woods at the end of the dead end road.  But I was patient
and just out walked him waiting at the last car for him to come out.
When he did he just lay on his side and crouched down in full submission
thinking I was going to slam him with a base ball bat.  I was just glad
to have him back in my hands and talked soothingly to him after I picked
him up petting him and scratching his ears like he likes to have it done.

He was worn out from all that exploring.  He ran immediately for the
water thingy and drank deeply, left and then came back for another shot
of dihydrousoxide.  Good stuff !!!!

Was a great lesson to me to just never take your eyes off one ferret
for one second outside where they will see that and put acres of turf
between you and him in an eye blink.  In ferret language RePete said
"Ok.  I'm caught!  Take me in !!!" with his submission body language.
Lesson learned!

Aarrow Ranch Aviation
Rev. J Gordon Bengtson
7302 Hunterbrook Drive, Suite 100