From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2006 01:03:45 -0500
I will copy this to a very well informed, expert friend in case he has
anything to correct in my note to the FML, or to add or emphasize.  Note
that my conclusions are non-expert ones, though reasonably well read
ones.

You forward the question whether Canada is importing research ferrets
from China and if they pose a bird flu transmission risk.  I will tackle
the less crucial part of your question first, and may know one route to
that part of the rumor.  Remember that I am NOT an expert.  I am merely
someone who reads a lot and likes looking up expert sources of
information.

Steepe polecats, Northern China:
Chadwick, D. H. 1991. Rescuing our rarest prairie predator.
Defenders, Mar/April pp. 11-23.

Prior to the introduction of captive bred black-footed ferrets (Mustela
nigripes) a program was initiated to study ferret behavior and survival
in the prairie dog towns in the plains of Wyoming.  The animal used in
the research was the Siberian or steppe polecat (Mustela eversmanni).
These animals were radio- collared and released to gather information
for future release of black-footed ferrets.  "Found across the great
plains of Asia, it more closely resembles the black-footed ferret (than
the European polecat, Mustela putorius).  In fact, black-footed ferrets
very likely arose from Siberian polecats that colonized the New World via
the Bering Bridge toward the latter part of the Ice Ages.  The two types
are still similar enough to interbreed, although blood protein analysis
and certain behavioral traits confirm that they qualify as distinct
species."  (p.12)  Most of the steppe polecats used in the study were
obtained from the Moscow Zoo in 1986 and the rest came from China not
long before the study began.

from
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/hcpb/species/nuis_exo/ferret/fertbiblio.shtml

China is among many nations in using ferrets in some research projects,
but a huge number of countries do:
http://elab.genetics.uiowa.edu/MEMBERPAGES/Ziyi/Ziyiresearch.htm
http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/other/sars/news/dec0604sars1.html
etc.

I so far have not been able to find any indication that they are
exporting any research ferrets, though.

Now, let's consider the other part of the question: ferrets and bird flu.
Ferrets are like us, cats, and dogs.  They do NOT get the current version
of bird flu casually, but have to have handled or eaten in infected bird.
Nor have any of these been able to pass on infection at this time, just
as humans can't.  Furthermore, even though ferrets are commonly used in
influenza research the ferrets who have had bird flu *imposed on them*
(not gotten casually) for study died incredibly rapidly of cytokine
storms (an extreme immune system response) so the animals are very
rapidly deathly ill -- not the sort of individuals who wind up
transported.  Nor are animals used in a study of a terminal illness
later used in further studies.

Remember that the bird flu has to modify to be infectious within or among
mammal species before it poses a casual threat.  When that happens for
us the most likely scenario will be modifying within a person and then
spreading outward.  Of prime concern for being the incubators of such
viral variation are people with diseases that suppress the immune system
because with those diseases the cytokine storms are less likely to happen
but at the same time the disease itself is unlikely to die off rapidly.

Also under research are the best ways to tackle cytokine storms (which
are the dangerous part of the disease) and which vaccination methods
will be best for avoiding cytokine storms.  I do not know how many new
projects on this are going on but late last year there were a number on
tackling cytokine storms happening in Britain and Australia, and ones on
safest vaccine approaches in the U.S.

Birds in eastern Europe are being watched to see if or when any move
into Alaska.  To show how careful many places are: a Caribbean preserve
(Inagua National Park) recently had a number of birds die and they
suspect poisoning or bad weather are more likely causes but the birds are
being tested to be safest.  The report is off the news today so maybe
they already have gotten good news, which would be great.  If the current
iteration of bird flu comes into North America earlier than the expected
advent after birds from different regions mingle in the arctic and then
go home, then it will most likely be from a missed migratory overlap or
a smuggled bird.

What to do at this point when a person is in a bird flu area but casual
spread has not occurred?  Keep your pets indoors consistently, and do not
handle sick or dead birds.  Follow other recommendations of your health
departments and health experts.  There is a pile of information in very
informed resources with top medical professionals.

Panic doesn't help anyone, especially while the disease is not able to be
spread casually.  Research and learning do.  Following health experts'
advice does.  Keeping pets indoors in involved areas does.  Not handling
diseased or sick wild birds in areas where the disease is present does.
Putting up food, and arranging to do things like having telecommuting and
phone conferencing in jobs where that is possible will also help if or
when the disease modifies.  Just keep informed and don't panic,
especially at this stage.  Instead be informed and logical.  Those are
my NON-expert conclusions.

So, no, I don't know if Canada is bringing in any research ferrets from
China, but if it is then panic that they will somehow bring in bird flu
has only evidence at this time of being a sorely misplaced concern.

-- Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List co-moderator
FHL Archives fan
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/