From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 1996 08:09:45 -0400
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    David Caudill <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Medical Question: Recovery Time?
>My little ferrt Kitt just had an exploritory done and a descent...

For an exploratory, I tell people to wait 2-3 days.  Desenting can take
about 1 week.

>From:    Becki Kain <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: tieke's condition
>Now, Dr. Schiff says tieke looks to have a problem producing the hormone
>that creates red

Winstrol-V is an anabolic steroid that causes protein production hopefully
reducing the amount of nitrogenous waste products the kidneys have to
process from normal muscle breakdown.  It may also stimulate the production
of red blood cells in the bone marrow.  Winstrol-V is used many times in the
geriatric dog (or cat) with low to medium grade kidney disease and low to
medium anemias.

What was your ferret s kidney function test results?  If they are normal and
your ferret is anemic, I would look for a cause of the anemia that occurs
more frequently than kidney disease anemia such as gastro-intestinal
ulceration or enlarged spleen.

>From:    DeBorah Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Your pamphlet
>Great idea about the pamphlets.  I, too, have had the same types of
>problems.  Keep me posted if you really want to do this thing.

4 lil paws shelter here in New Hampshire (see Dick Bossart at
[log in to unmask]) has produced a great owners manual and is in print.
Check it out.

>From:    "marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
>Hi all, first a VET question: I just had Boris' scent glants (he's a year
>old) because they seemed to be bothering him.  He seems much peppier now,
>eating better etc.  but I have noticed that his poop is much skinnier...

I m glad you just had Boris glands :)
I assume you had them removed from Boris.  Yes, post-operative swelling can
cause the anal opening to close down a little.  As the swelling subsides
over the next few weeks, the stool should return to normal.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH.