From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 May 1998 20:10:24 -0400
Just heard from Diane Rogers.  As you know, we were both keeping track of
Delaware because they had to wait for a specific individual to return from
an extended stay abroad before they could change policy to follow the
Compendium though they expected it to happen quickly upon his return.
Diane heard first.  It's been done.  Her verifying contact was Dr. Kaza at
1-302-739-5617.

The AFA was handling D.C. (where ferrets are still illegal) and Diane has
heard from both Mary Healy, Washington Humane Society Executive Director
(1-202-723-5730) and Peggy Keller, Chief of Animal Disease Control
(1-202-576-7934) that D.C.  will be following the Compendium immediately.

Georgia's folks say they have inserted Compendium recommendations in their
Rabies Control Manual, and on website http://www.ph.hdr.state.ga.us  but I
haven't had the minutes to check, yet.  Copies of the insert for the manual
may be obtained form Dr. Sherry Drenzek 1-404-657-2553.  You'll want to
make sure your local officials know about these.

You folks already know that the AFA has offered to help the states in which
long processes are being followed, so I doubt Diane will mind if I mention
their offer in that regard.

Diane goes on to say that in light of the Compendium it looks like the AFA
might finally succeed in its long effort to get the "euthanasia" and
"testing" wording removed from IMRAB 3 packages when the current stock is
depleted, and that The American Veterinary Medical Association's Council on
Public Health and Regulatory Veterinary Medicine has reviewed the existing
AVMA ferret policies and has proposed changes which reflect the 1998
Compendium; this will be voted upon in July an Baltimore, and Diane says
that members of AFA will be present.

Sukie