From:
Roberta McCanse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2006 11:12:39 -0500
Hi, All,

We are noticing an increased incidence of urinary obstruction in our male
ferrets.  We have even seen it in some males who are not yet showing
signs of adrenal disease.  Finding an emergency vet or tech (this always
happens on a weekend or holiday) who can catheterize a ferret is tricky,
although our own vet does this well.  We have had positive treatment
results with Lupron and a long course of antibiotic (injectable, Naxol
I believe), and hydration.

One question we have, is there an increased incidence of this overall?
Could it be related to diet?  Sometimes we see stones (one ferret with
17 removed by our vet), sometimes not, and sometimes it's even hard to
demonstrate prostate enlargement.

Another question: We would by preference place a melatonin implant but
wonder about the effects of sub-q fluids administered near it.

Thanks for anyinput.

Bobbi McC, KC Ferret Hotline and shelter