From:
Barbara Griswold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 11:26:39 EDT
>I just wonder when a shelter is so strict, do they adopt out often?  Do
>they have a full shelter,or maybe in an area where ferrets are hard to
>come by and few need sheltering?

Hello

I just read your questions regarding strict adherence to adoption policies.
I work very closely with a local ferret shelter plus I also work with Akita
Rescue and Rottweiler Rescue.  I have to say that Steve's policies are
normal across the boards as I've experienced them.  In fact, his prices
are somewhat less.  It appears that people who truly want to help make a
difference in the numbers of homeless animals are more than willing to live
up to adoption contracts like these.  And if they, indeed, have a problem
with them, then fine...I wouldn't want them to have my animal anyway.

I'm fostering a Rottie as I write that will never go to anyone with
children under the age of 12.  He's very amiable and sweet tempered however
there are too many law suit happy folk out there; all it would take is one
nip (and not the fault of the dog) and there'd be a law suit plus the dog
would be the one to suffer...he'd be put down immediately.

The same goes for ferrets unfortunately.  With the prevailing attitude that
ferrets are "wild" and that they bite, I surely would not ever want someone
suing me because a ferret I adopted to them (as a non-biting ferret) bit a
child or anyone for that matter.

Being knowledgeable a head of time about the animal you want to adopt, is
extremely important.  Just because it looks cute or it's "pretty" or
whatever, doesn't cut it when it comes to every day living with the animal.

I hope this clarifies some issues about adoption contracts.

Barb and the 5 whirling dervishes (all rescues)...Gus, Zak, Hope, Bren and
Kate

Please give to Aleutian Disease research...the ferret you save may be your
own!  http://www.geocities.com/russiansmom/index.html