From:
"Chip Gallo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 1991 10:24:00 -0400
Here is the text of a letter I sent to the chairmen of the Natural
Resources committee:

April 18, 1991

Sen. Robert A. Durand
Statehouse  Room 413B
Boston, MA 02133

Dear Senator Durand:

I am writing to encourage you and the Natural Resources committee
to send the redraft of Senate 840 to the Senate. The pet ferret has
been domestic for as long as the house cat, gives joy and pleasure
to millions of American pet owners and should be allowed the status
of other pets. Confusions and misunderstandings about the ferret
have caused him to be placed in "wild animal" or "exotic" catego-
ries when in truth he is simply a domestic pet.

I have personally owned ferrets since 1981. My wife and I have
handled hundreds of pet ferrets at ferret shows across the country.
We have found healthy, well-bred ferrets to be wonderful companion
animals. Restrictions on ferret ownership make it difficult for
educational organizations such as the Ferret Unity and Registration
Organization (FURO) and the mid-Atlantic Ferret Association (AFA)
to educate owners; underground ferret ownership creates criminals
out of normally law-abiding citizens; tax and licensing revenue is
also lost.

As Founder of the Montgomery Ferret Club (Gaithersburg, Maryland)
and FERRET EXPO, an annual ferret show, I hope this bill will
proceed to the Senate, House, and to the Governor for signature. I
am asking my friends in Massachusetts to contact you with their
letters of support too.

Sincerely,

Phillip A. Gallo III