From:
Tracy Romito <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 14:42:00 -0800
Hi,

I am a bit behind in my FMLs and hope I'm not too late in getting this info
out.  I have also heard boric acid is harmless, however, I recently almost
lost my ferret Rascal after he inhaled some left over residue that I did
not see until it was too late.

I had my house treated for centipedes, and was told by the exterminating
company what they were putting in the cracks & crevices in my home was safe
for my pets (one of the ingredients was boric acid).  Unfortunately I had
to have the ferret room treated as that is the main place where (VERY
LARGE) centipedes were getting in and I was afraid of any reactions the
ferrets could have should they get bitten by one.  To make a long story
short, Rascal, almost 3rs old, INHALED some boric acid that apparently
seeped back out through the baseboards.  Within 24 hours, he went into
SEVERE respiratory distress with very limited lung capacity and had to be
hospitalized under 24 hour care for 9 days, 8 of those days on oxygen as
well as a special medical protocol.  No one thought he would make it, but I
am so very grateful he did pull through and is almost completely recovered.

This was a very scary and heart-breaking incident and I would not want any
one else to have their babies go through what mine did.  So please be VERY
careful, and make sure NO RESIDUE can make contact with your babies (you
can neutralize it with just soap & water).

All the best,
Tracy
(& Rascal *the Miracle Ferret* & Cocoa)