From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 00:21:03 -0400
To Phyllis:

I didn't see your original post, but I wonder if the glucose registering 111
was a fasting glucose?  That would make all the difference in the world as
far as results go.  To get an accurate reading, your ferret should ideally
be fasted for 4 hours prior to the blood draw, and no nutrical, ferretone,
or treats of any kind until AFTER the blood draw - not even during the blood
draw either - that also can affect results.

Generally, if blood sits around for any length of time BEFORE it is spun
down, this will affect the results, although if I remember correctly,
results are generally lower - not higher.

If the glucose still appears normal after a 4 hour fast, you might suggest
to your vet that an insulin-glucose ratio be done - that gives more
information than a glucose alone.

BTW, if your ferret is having seizures, you may want to leave her at the vet
for the 4 hour fast - this way, if she goes into a seizure, they can treat
her immediately.

Debbie Riccio
President, WNYFLFA
Rochester, NY