From:
Bill & Laura <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2007 00:29:59 -0600
I think what she means by "genetic defect is eliminated" is:
M&P doesn't breed any lines that develop a negative genetic issue, aka
early cancer, lymphoma, etc., and they track the kits. (Yes, "angora"
as a whole could be construed as a negative genetic issue depending on
your perspective, for the sake of general understanding, let's assume
that angora-ism is an ok genetic trait.)

In a sense.. any ferret with an obviously harmful genetic trait is not
bred and therefor, those visible traits are eliminated, regardless of
how beautiful, well-built, etc., the ferret is. Those ferrets are
altered immediately and allowed to live out their lives as pets.

Here's an example: My Rubik was from a litter where the hob suddenly
developed Juvenile Lymphoma out of the blue at 1+ year of age and died.
M&P called me and the others who got a kit from that litter and made
sure all of the kits were altered and not bred. I was altering Rubik
anyway so it didn't matter, but M&P wanted to be sure that we knew
about it and that those bloodlines were not passed on. We were also
informed of the lymphoma and everything was disclosed.

M&P can speak for itself, but I noticed things getting technical and
decided to try to decode things. Hope nobody minds.

Angora-ism.. I kind of like that word.

Laura