From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2001 17:39:48 -0400
>is there any way to tell the difference by touch between fat pads and
>swollen lymph nodes, in this case in the armpit area?  Or is analysis of
>a sample the only way to know for sure?  I've read that fat pads can be
>hard to differentiate from swollen lymph nodes, but would fat pads occur
>naturally in the armpit area?

Dear XXXXXXX:

It is very difficult indeed to tell the difference between fat pads and
enlarged nodes, and many vets end up biopsying fat.  In very general
rules - enlarged nodes are generally hard, and fat is generally soft and
mushy.  But it can be very tricky, and an aspirate or a biopsy often is
required.

In an older animal, which tends to put down fat around the nodes,
especially in the proximity of the legs, I think I would proceed a bit
more slowly, and probably go with an aspirate in this case.

With kindest regards,
Bruce H. Williams, DVM, DACVP

Join the Ferret Health List at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ferret-Health-list