From:
Chris Lewis <[log in to unmask])
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sun, 27 Sep 1992 00:09:12 EDT
Chris, Pat, Gregory and Mocha are back from their two weeks wandering
around the grandparent's home areas and the Bay of Quinte.  The worst
part of it was when Patricia managed to teach Gregory to recognize
the word "Antiques", so I could no longer surruptitiously ignore
the signs on *my* side of the road...

Leaving the mailing list on autopilot seemed to work rather well.
At least, technically....  ferret.ocunix.on.ca stayed up for the
duration.

An article, word-for-word identical with the recipes everybody's
talking about, was submitted to the list back March 19.  Almost
exactly 6 months ago.  Then it was from "[log in to unmask]".
That one I caught and trashcanned.

The "From:" lines are completely bogus.  Neither it, nor the
"From " lines bear any resemblance to the "Received-by" lines which
are independently added on by (some) of the forwarding sites.
Not even "rutgers" (who I know adds Received-by) which was the
last site in the "From " line before uunet.ca (my immediate neighbor)
was legit.  It appears that this nonsense was either injected
by someone at reed.edu (who forwarded it direct to uunet.ca), or by
a forged SMTP connect to reed (less likely to uunet.ca).  Both
messages show the reed.edu.

Forgeries of this type are so easy to do that one shouldn't be
impressed by any appearance of talent.  There is none.  Anybody
could do it after playing around with "telnet" for a few minutes.

The interval was sufficiently close to 6 months that it may have
been automated - the originator need never have been a subscriber,
just someone who saw the ferret-list entry in Spaf's mailing list
list.  And it's posted blind to cause a little uproar.  Though,
the timing is somewhat suspicious - appearing in the two week
window which I advertised that the mailing list would be operating
unattended.  So the person may be a subscriber under a different
name.  Or have seen the notices on compuserve, genie or the
mail-2-news gateway at Brown U (is anybody there actually reading
this stuff?).

Whatever.

I take a very dim view of the sort of horse's ass childishness
displayed by people like Roger David Carrasso (aka Rachel Dafni
Christy).  Especially on *my* mailing list...  If I manage
to catch the perpetrator, I will toast 'em.  And *this* time
our friend seems to have slipped up and left some tracks.  I'll
keep you posted as to how things turn out.

Chere, if you have any evidence other than the evidently
bogus "[log in to unmask]" as to the identity of the sender,
please let me know.  I keep hearing the name "Rush Limbaugh"
bandied about (and know that there's a TV show of that name
in the US), but I don't know who or what a "Rush Limbaugh"
really is.  Can someone enlighten me?

That being said, until I have further news to report, this is
the last message on this topic that will appear on the mailing
list.  Being moderator, I get the last word.  And shut off our
"friend's" jollies....