From:
Shannan Skitch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2006 13:53:54 -0400
I am not sure if this is what you were looking for, but here are a few
suggestions for the FML member with the Arthritic hands.

One product I came across in a former job was Gymboree Bubbles, they are
not soap based and are non toxic.  They also don't pop when they land, so
the ferrets love to hunt them down on the floor.  Now the package says
they are not recommended for children under 3, but I can tell you this
is because of the parts of the actual bubble blower; not the solution.
In Gymboree classes they use the bubbles for infants and they are safe
should they happen to ingest the solution.  About half of my ferrets have
been "bubble hunters" and the best part of the Gymboree Bubble Ooodles is
that the blower is a very large cylinder designed for small child hands
to hold so it is very easy for arthritic hands to hold also.  Another
tip is that you get twice as many bubbles out of the blower if you blow
lightly on the cylinder; I've gotten over 30 bubbles out of one attempt!

My other suggestion would be to take a quick trip to a Toys R Us or other
large toy store and hit the Toddler department.  It's actually something
I have done for both children that were having difficulty with fine motor
control and for my Grandmother after a stroke.  The toddler items are all
very lightweight; usually plastic and have large handles and grips.  You
could pick up a few special toys and modify the games to suit your
ferret.  Off the top of my head I would recommend "Fishing for Ferts".
Buy a plastic fishing rod with the little hook on the end, and then tie
a favorite toy to the hook.  This way you have a very light and easy to
use (the rod will have large grips as is recommended for arthritic hands)
chase & dangle toy.  Another simple toy would be a remote control car or
truck.  The toddlers have ones that drive with only one simple forward
and back motion, or some have steering wheel controls.  They also have
soft toy trucks that you could put scents on for your ferret to chase.

Anyway I would use your imagination and walk through this isle, my
ferrets love toddler toys as they get a chance to taste, smell and touch
all new things that are designed to be played with in this manner.
Everything is lightweight and durable as the standards seem to be much
higher than with some of the pet toys I find.

Good luck I hope this helped a little bit.  If you have any questions
feel free to contact me.

~Shannan Skitch

Do your Ferrets wear Couture?
Join us for the Ferret Couture Fashion Show
June 23rd 2006, Toronto Canada

To support our shelter visit
<http://www.ferretaid.org/>