From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 11:32:12 -0600
When we saw Farrah in the pet store she was barely alive.  She was skin and
bones and her body was cool to the touch.  Her lymph nodes around her neck
had swollen to the size of a jumbo hot dog making it impossible for her to
reach her head into the food or water bowl.  She was sick and starving.

The 'owner' had turned her over to the pet store the night before and the
pet store (which we just happened to visit the next day) gave her to us.  I
called our vet from the pet store and told him her condition.  We scheduled
her for a visit the next evening.

I sat up all night with Farrah, feeding her a tiny syringe of our special
recipe on the hour.  I was surprised she made it through the night.  Had we
not been led to her she would have died that very night.  Her temp was up
and she was holding steady, barely.

The vet diagnosis was advanced lymphosarcoma and prognosis was not good.
Our options were to treat her or euthanize.  I chose treating her.  We
started her on medication immediately and I nursed her throughout the days
and nights.  Farrah had not known love before she came to us.  I vowed she
would and she did.

The glands reduced and Farrah gained weight to what a normal small old
sable female would be.  She ate her recipe with relish.  She ate hard food
with no problems.

For 6 weeks Farrah knew and felt what true love is.  She was cuddled
nightly.  The night before she left us, she played (well scratched) in a
grocery sack.  The following night we had company.  Farrah was not feeling
well and her stool was mucous.  Just minutes after company left, Farrah
died in my arms.  As tears streamed down my cheeks, I knew that Farrah had
known love, warmth, and happiness.

Farrah's care did not take away from any ferrets in our home or any that
needed us.  In my heart, and in my home, there will always be room for any
ferret that needs me.

It was my decision to try and help Farrah, and I knew the prognosis was not
good.  Farrah outlived everyone's expectations.  Those short 6 weeks were
very precious to Farrah, me, and all that knew her.

There is much more than funds involved in nursing sick and dying ferrets.
The most costly aspect is emotion.  The frustration, sadness and pain we
experience as we fight to save a little one who has never known true love
and caring or has been dumped because they are ailing, is enormous.  The
time and energy put forth is tremendous.  But we do it with love and never
hold regrets.

I'm not here to pick and choose who will die, I'm here to try.

Many of us use our personal money to fund the care of the needy ferrets.
We are willing to eat beans and rice forever if we have to.  The ferrets in
my home come first and that is true with others too.  We live differently
than others.  We'll not drive fancy cars or have fancy furniture in our
homes.  What you will feel when you enter our homes is love and caring and
you will see happy, well cared for ferrets.

Those of you that support these efforts, can send donations to the vets on
the shelter list.  This will provide funds specifically for ailing ferrets.
If you do donate to the vets, please write a note with the donation that it
is to be credited to that particular shelters account and drop a note to
the shelter so they can make sure the books are kept properly at the
clinic.  Those that support other efforts of the shelters can send
donations, an encouraging word, or a gift directly to the shelter.

If anyone is looking to add to their family, please check out the shelters
near you.  You can also check dog/cat shelters in your area to see if they
take in ferrets and watch the newspapers for ads.  If there are none
nearby, then perhaps transportation from a ferret shelter can be arranged
for the little ones to be taken to their new family.

Happy holidays and hugs to all. tle