From:
Connie Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 16:46:29 EST
Today was rabies vaccination day for Butch and Maggie.  It did not end
very well.

I was concerned about Maggie (4 years old and diagnosed with E.G.  August
2001).  Maggie did very well.  No reaction and we did a quick BG which was
fine.  Maggie will remain off the PrediaPred for her Insuloma.  She is now
on Azathioprine .01 ML every 72 hours for her E.G.  and we will check her
again in 4 weeks.  Maggie won't eat on her own and we hope this will help
her.  Butch did not fair so well.  His BG was 55 and if that wasn't bad
enough he had a massive reaction to his rabies vaccination.  He had a
reaction 2 years ago and we elected to pretreat with a Benadryl injection
30 minutes before any vaccinations.

Fortunately the vet techs were monitoring in the office so they stepped
right in to help him.

Despite the excellent advice from people on this list I had chosen to
vaccinate.  I did this because Butch loves to go for walks in the park.  I
felt I was protecting him from someone taking him and destroying him if he
nipped or scratched them.  Instead I have caused him great harm and feel
like the worst ferret Mom in the world!

Right now my beautiful baby boy (he'll be 5 in the fall but he's still a
baby to me) is sleeping in a snuggy sack I'm wearing while I write this
and cry about what has happened.  CB has kissed and snuggled next to him
to say how much he cares, Maggie seems unconcerned since to her danger has
passed.  I urge people to research the laws in your state on rabies.  You
may not have to vaccination yearly, your animal may not be taken away from
you and destroyed like poor Kodo was years ago.  They might be allowed to
be isolated at your vets or in your own home (CT allows this with dogs)
during a period of time.  I didn't realize all this and now Butchie is
paying the price.  Butch will no longer be vaccinated for anything.  I
will miss our walks together but I'd rather have him here with me and
staring at the door than sick or dead from a shot.

Connie, Butch, Maggie, and CB

"I am sometimes asked, "Why do you spend so much of your time and money
talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?
I answer, "I am working at the roots."
George T.  Angell